Image: Wikimedia Commons / Benutzer:Bill da Flute

O’Sullivan accuses referee of “looking for trouble” in World Championship row

Ronnie O’Sullivan has accused referee Olivier Marteel for “looking for trouble” after he was reproached during the first session of his final battle with Judd Trump.

Marteel halted proceedings in the final frame of the first session after taking offence at something O’Sullivan did, but he would not reveal what it was. He issued a warning after the player fouled, for what was assumed to be a lewd gesture by commentators, although no-one reported actually having seen one. O’Sullivan responded furiously, telling the referee to go and check the cameras, and Trump was also left unhappy as the delay interrupted his next shot.

Trump eventually potted the balls to finish the session 5-3 behind.

This came after an incident in the third frame, as O’Sullivan made a complaint to the referee about a security guard in his eyeline.

I think he just seems to be looking for trouble. I just get a vibe from the guy

– Ronnie O’Sullivan

Another followed in the fourth frame, after Trump requested the cueball be replaced after an O’Sullivan foul. There was a five-minute debate between O’Sullivan and Marteel about the ball’s repositioning, with the player eventually offering the referee his cue and asking him to try and hit the balls as a result of incorrect white ball placement.

After the session, Eurosport’s Rachel Casey asked O’Sullivan about the final-frame incident. He said: “I think he just seems to be looking for trouble. I just get a vibe from the guy. They’ve got hundreds of cameras out there, they can go and check them all, slow motion them down. He’s trying to say… I’ll let the ref talk to you but I’m not going to have any of it because I think he’s just trying to create something. He needs to deal with that, not me.”

The commentators disputed whether or not Marteel’s actions were appropriate. Jimmy White said: “I felt a bit for Trump there because it’s Trump’s shot and the referee is sitting in Ronnie O’Sullivan’s corner. I think he maybe should have waited until after the game.”

Alan McManus defended Marteel: “I think he has to be proactive and in the moment. If he thinks anything untoward has happened, he’s got to be all over it and direct the traffic out there, that’s his job. Do your job. You should be very forceful as a referee. Maybe in that moment, it’s discretion.

“Trump has got a big yellow, tail end of the session, last two minutes of the session. Maybe wait? But that’s not a criticism of Olivier Marteel. He’s got a tough job out there. It’s not an easy call, it’s a tough job.”