Images: Wikimedia Commons/ФК ШАХТЕР, Дмитрий Голубович

‘Best game of the season’: talking points as City and Liverpool draw

Sunday saw Liverpool travel to the Etihad to take on current table toppers, Manchester City, with a view to overtaking them at the summit of the Premier League.

De Bruyne gave City an early lead with a deflected effort from the edge of the box before Jota levelled just a few minutes later after some great build up play by the Reds.

City were dominant for the remainder of the first half, though they spurned a few good chances before Gabriel Jesus restored their lead after making a great run at the far post to get away from Robertson.

2-1 it finished at the break despite a period of intense City pressure, before Liverpool equalised through Sadio Mane just moments after the restart.

Both sides pushed relentlessly for the rest of the 90 minutes, but the two teams shared the spoils in what was an absolute classic of a football match.

Here are the key points from this potential title decider.

The best teams in the world?

Much has been made over the last few years of the quality of these two outfits. Headed by two of the best coaches in the game and comprised of some of the best players in the game as well, it only makes sense that the title rivals are half decent.

However, there is definitely an argument to be made that, on current form at least, these are the two best teams in the world right now.

Bayern Munich and maybe even Real Madrid may have something to say about that, and PSG have certainly assembled a star-studded squad, the likes of which is almost unseen in the history of the sport.

But in terms of performance, it’s difficult to find a team on the planet more consistent and more extraordinarily talented than either of these.

Klopp and Guardiola have worked wonders since their respective arrivals in England, and we are extremely fortunate to be blessed by their presence right now. The English game is so much better for it.

Plenty of chances to win it

On paper, a draw is definitely the right result for these two teams, who are so even in almost every aspect.

But so many chances went abegging in this game, either due to defensive excellence or miniscule miscalculations.

Whether a neutral or a supporter, you can do little but watch on in awe at these two teams, who have raised the bar for football in England time and time again

City could have certainly had a few more, with Sterling and Jesus both spurning chances before Mahrez lobbed the ball well over Alisson’s net with seconds remaining.

Although they were fewer, Liverpool also had a number of possible winners – Ederson calmly clearing off the line after stubbing his toe, and Alexander-Arnold trying to lob the goalie from the halfway line when Salah was clear come to mind.

It was always a game that could have gone either way, and on reflection, both teams will likely be happy with a point, but you can’t help but feel there could have been a winner here.

Reds get lucky with reds

With both teams boasting extremely gifted players with the ball at their feet, it’s understandable that a few tactical fouls have to be made to stop them from wreaking havoc.

That being said, Liverpool certainly got away with a few close calls, particularly Fabinho and Thiago, who arguably should both have been sent for an early shower in this clash.

Thiago rode his luck with a lot of risky challenges in the first half, evading a booking for a little longer than he perhaps should have, before Fabinho crunched Bernardo Silva’s ankle halfway through the second half.

These were all extremely tight calls, and not too many complaints can be made about the decisions that Anthony Taylor made on the day, but it must be said that Liverpool should feel very fortunate that they had a full team of eleven players for the entirety of the match.

Regardless of the result, this was a nail-biting, enthralling contest for all those who watched it. To top it off, we have the pleasure of seeing these two go head-to-head once again in the FA Cup semi-final this weekend as well.

Whether a neutral or a supporter, you can do little but watch on in awe at these two teams, who have raised the bar for football in England time and time again, pumping out victory after victory, and we are incredibly lucky to bear witness to their titan clashes atop the Premier League.