Drink spiking in Manchester
Image: Wikimedia commons / David Dixon

A rise in drink spiking cases across bars in Manchester

police investigation has been launched following a rise in spiking cases across bars in Manchester. 

Eight women have come forward to the police to report instances of their drinks being spiked in recent weeks. 

Students are voicing their concerns for tougher action, and have taken to social media to warn people of the specific bars they have been spiked in. 

The ‘Girls’ Night In’ protest demands that drink spiking should be taken seriously, and have encouraged boycotting nightclubs and bars altogether. 

Georgia Kourpas, a Sociology undergraduate student at the University of Manchester, said: “My friend got spiked last week when we were all together in a large group, where security was present, and now we feel that nowhere is safe to go out clubbing, regardless of thorough searching.”

Drink spiking is a horrible experience for anyone, but we are starting to see that women are being targeted in this area, and therefore we will be increasing our presence to help protect people and prevent these crimes.

–John Robb

Detective Inspector John Robb of GMP’s City of Manchester South Division, said: “Drink spiking is a horrible experience for anyone, but we are starting to see that women are being targeted in this area, and therefore we will be increasing our presence to help protect people and prevent these crimes.”

Drinkaware recommends checking the colour of your drink, particularly for any hints of blue, which may be a sign that your drink has been tampered with. 

Other changes to your drink may include your drink being cloudy, having excessive bubbling or fizzing, or tasting bitter or salty. 

Symptoms of drink spiking vary depending on what you have been spiked with. 

Symptoms may include lowered inhibitions, confusion, nausea, vomiting, unconsciousness, and loss of balance. 

Drinkaware also provide guidance on how to help a friend who you think may have been spiked.

Some of the steps include: telling a member of staff, staying with them, and calling an ambulance if their condition deteriorates.  

More information can be found on www.drinkaware.co.uk