Simon Cobb
Image: Wikimedia Commons

Black scholarship students at the University of Bristol begin courses

The £1 million scholarship programme for black students at the University of Bristol has begun to take effect with its premier cohort.

Over the next four years, it is estimated that the programme will support 130 black and mixed-black heritage students through either their undergraduate or postgraduate degrees. 

With £250,000 per year, the scholarship programme includes: 20 undergraduate bursaries and targeted support, three postgraduate scholarships, £125,000 to support five research students, four PGCE scholarships, and two humanities master’s scholarships. 

Funded by donations from alumni and friends, the scholarships will include careers advice and support, and employability opportunities, along with financial bursaries in attempts to address the lack of representation of the black community in higher education. 

The programme intends to further progress representation, given the 44% increase in BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic) enrolment at the University of Bristol over recent years. 

“I was lost for words when I received the scholarship”

– David Afikuyomi, master’s student

David Afikuyomi, a student studying for an MRes in Economics stated: “I was lost for words when I received the scholarship.

“This is one of the best things that has happened to me, and I’m incredibly grateful.”

Lauren Hutfield, a student who would have been forced to postpone her masters in Development and Security to save up for her studies, has said: “Getting this scholarship has lifted such a weight off my shoulders.

“Financial concerns are definitely a barrier when it comes to higher education, and particularly further, postgraduate study.”

“It makes postgraduate studies very, very elitist in determining who actually goes on.”

Higher Education Vice President at the National Union of Students, Hillary Gyebi-Ababio, added: “Financial concerns are one of the primary barriers to black people progressing into higher education. 

“The Black Bristol Scholarship Programme empowers students to continue their education, and gives them the freedom to access resources and support they might not otherwise have.”