Image: Scott Wiggins

‘Well respected’ Justin Hamonic unveiled as Coventry Blaze captain

Justin Hamonic will captain the Coventry Blaze during the 2021/22 season, the club confirmed in an official statement on Wednesday (22 September).

The Canadian defenceman, who signed a two-year deal with the Blaze this summer, will be supported by Luke Ferrara, Ross Venus, and David Broll, who retain their associate captaincy roles from 2019/20.

Coventry’s ‘C’ jersey was left vacant during pre-season, with Blaze head coach Danny Stewart taking a considered approach to selecting a replacement for former captain Drew Schiestel – who retired following the 2019/20 campaign.

“Hammer [Justin Hamonic] has an amazing approach to the game and we’re proud to announce him as our new captain,” Stewart told the club’s website. “He’s in immaculate condition, leads by example in everything he does and has a 100% buy in to this club, his teammates and coaching staff.

“He is well respected by everyone, never takes a shift off, and that is exactly who we want leading our charge this season.”

Hamonic, who already has leadership experience on his CV, made 57 appearances for the Blaze during his debut season in the Elite League, registering 17 points (five goals, 12 assists) from the blueline.

Now in his seventh year as a professional, Hamonic’s elevation to the Blaze captaincy marks the third time in his career that he has been appointed to a leadership role. In the major junior game, Hamonic captained the WHL’s Tri-City Americans for two seasons and later served as an associate captain for the Worcester Railers in the ECHL.

Hamonic will captain the Blaze for the first time on Saturday (25 September) as Coventry face the Fife Flyers on the weekend of action in the Elite League.