Image: Hannah Cooley
Image: Hannah Cooley

A return to university sport after Covid-19

“These will be the best years of your life,” they said. Instead, the pandemic has robbed many students of the ‘unforgettable’ and ‘life-changing’ university experience. Covid-19 has taken a huge toll on our mental and physical well-being, our social lives, our academic lives, and our futures.

As the lockdown unfolds in the UK, campus facilities are slowly reopening and, importantly, university sport is making an exciting comeback. Now is a great time to get involved in sport and the University of Warwick has endless opportunities for all, no matter your ability. 

From ultimate frisbee to fencing there is something for everyone, and in these unprecedented times, this has never mattered more. In a survey of undergraduate students by the Higher Education Policy Institute, 58% said their mental health has become worse because of the pandemic. 

Personally, I have felt my stress and anxiety levels soar, but university sport has served as my release. As a first-year student, like many others my time at university has been riddled with lockdowns and social distancing, so making friends has been very tough, resulting in frequent pangs of loneliness. Joining the University of Warwick cricket and tennis clubs has made a huge difference though.

It’s well established that even a daily brisk walk provides significant psychological and physical health benefits, including helping with anxiety, depression, self-esteem, and self-confidence. University sport can bring you this and more. It has given me a family away from home, and a feeling as though I’m part of something bigger.

Social distancing has made making friends near impossible, but sport provides the perfect opportunity to rebuild our social lives. The feeling of working towards a shared goal and appreciating each other’s struggles is so warming, and thus, friendships form very naturally. With pubs and restaurants opening again, sport clubs are holding social events, creating further opportunities to form connections with teammates.

There is so much to get involved in, and you owe it to yourself, and deserve, to join in the fun

“But it’s exam season!” I hear you cry. As a first-year I can’t begin to fathom the stress of exams that count towards your degree, but a good grade cannot come at the expense of your mental and physical health. University sport clubs are offering training sessions and matches throughout term three, providing you with the perfect escape from academic pressures. Even just playing once or twice a week will serve as a motivation to revise and something to look forward to after hours of work.

Recently, the University of Warwick Women’s Cricket Club took part in their first outdoor match since 2019, and I was very lucky to join them. Despite the threat of rain and thunderstorms, the teams managed to organise a shorter (T20) game at the lovely grounds of Oriel College, Oxford. The team had battled through over a year of lockdowns, making the match even more rewarding.

After two cancellations in previous weeks, UOWWC had fought hard just to make the match happen, so the atmosphere was one of relief, relaxation, and laughter. By choosing to field first, the captains wanted to make sure everyone could get involved, have fun, and not worry about the scoreboard.  

Being injured myself I couldn’t take part but was able to watch and help score the match, demonstrating that there are always opportunities to get involved in university sport. The feeling of being part of a team after so long was unmatched, as we felt like one big family.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for university sport, and as the country re-opens it can only get better with BUCS league matches, weekly socials, charity events and inter-club competitions. 

UOWWC prides itself on being inclusive and welcoming to all abilities, and there are so many clubs like it. I had never played cricket before I came to university, so don’t let worries or insecurities about ability hold you back. Everyone is in the same boat, and the university’s sport clubs would love to have you.

There is so much to get involved in, and you owe it to yourself, and deserve, to join in the fun and make the most of the final weeks of term three.