Nottingham party leads to a £10k fine for host

The host of a 21st birthday party which attracted over 100 attendees has been fined £10,000 for breaking Covid rules.

Police were called to the house after reports of large-scale antisocial behaviour at 3 a.m on 24 June.

When officers broke up the student party, attendees were “spilling out on to the streets” as they shut down the music.

Nottinghamshire Police said that neighbours of the area were left angry and upset by the gathering, and called it a “blatant breach of the rules”.

With coronavirus restrictions currently limited to outdoor gatherings of 30 people and only six or two separate households indoors, the party was a clear breach.

Police have been called to similar disturbances throughout the year, which lead to several maximum fines for student parties.

Even without the Covid legislation, we would tackle this hard and not tolerate it.

– ACC Steve Cooper

Steve Cooper, Assistant Chief Constable, stated that throwing a birthday party under the present circumstances was “frankly astonishing”.

He added: “Even without the Covid legislation, we would tackle this hard and not tolerate it.

“It generated a number of calls from residents in the area who quite frankly, deserve more respect.”

The party host has been given the maximum penalty under Covid legislation, and will face paying the fine or going to court.

ACC Cooper has also urged that students leaving to go home for the summer should not be inclined to throw leaving parties.

A spokesperson from the University of Nottingham commented: “We are deeply disappointed at this behaviour, which is unrepresentative of the majority of students in the city.

“In addition to any police action or court proceedings, the university will consider further disciplinary action.”