Image: Geograph/ Paul Anderson

Poorer white pupils have been let down and neglected, a report by MPs says

A report published by the The Education Select Committee has accused the government of neglecting white working class pupils in England’s education system for decades.

The report suggests that there has been a lack of targeted support for disadvantaged white pupils, and warns that white pupils on free school meals underachieve from early years in school through to GCSE, A-levels, and university entry, compared with pupils on free meals from other ethnic groups.

The report also says that use of the term “white privilege”, suggesting white pupils are at an advantage, is the “opposite” of the reality for poor white pupils.

In 2019, 18% of white British pupils on free meals achieved grade 5 in English and Maths at GCSE, compared with 23% for the average for pupils on free meals, and for university entry, 16% of white British pupils on free meals get places, compared with 59% of black African pupils on free meals, 59% of Bangladeshi pupils on free meals, and 32% of black Caribbean pupils on free meals.

The report highlighted that underlying social problems – including poor local jobs market and a lack of opportunity – has led to white poorer pupils falling behind at school.

If you think it’s about poverty, then it doesn’t explain why most other ethnic groups do much better

– Robert Halfon, Chairman of Education Select Committee

In response to the findings, the report has proposed more target funding in particularly poor areas in England, as well as “Family hubs” to get parents involved with children’s learning, and attracting teachers to areas that can struggle to retain staff.

Education Select Committee Chairman Robert Halfon said: “If you think it’s about poverty, then it doesn’t explain why most other ethnic groups do much better.”

Halfton added that it was a “major social injustice” that little has been done to address this attainment gap, and he warned that poorer white pupils are falling behind “every step of the way”, and that this could not be “swept under the carpet”.

In response to this report, the government has said that they are committed to making sure no child is left behind. However Labour MP Kim Johnson on the committee said that the report’s findings were trying to “stoke the culture war”, and avoid scrutiny of the “lack of investment” in schools and local communities.