Lack of diversity within the curriculum hinders BAME students, study finds.
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Tomber

Lack of diversity within the curriculum hinders BAME students, study finds

A study conducted by the University of Leicester found that the lack of a diverse curriculum negatively impacts BAME students.

The report investigated experiences of BAME students studying towards degrees in biology, law, physics, and sociology.

Black students often have to “work harder” in order to connect with assessments and content in the curriculum, the study suggested.

The report found that some black students were worried they were marked by their “capacity to mask their blackness” in presentations.

The study also found that South Asian students of Islamic faith felt that they were subject to ethnic and religious-based anti-education stereotypes, which had a negative impact on their performance and grades.

This report presents signifcant progress towards our commitment and work towards creating a more open, equality-driven, representative, relevant university and inspiring curriculum”

– Paul Campbell

In order to improve the situation, the report calls for clearer language in essay questions, clearer feedback on a students’ work, and better pre-and post-assessment support.

An academic at the University of Leicester stated that by expanding the curriculum, students may be able to relate learning to their own experiences.

Dr Paul Campbell, an author of the report, said that the curriculum made it difficult for black students to connect content with their own lived realities.

Dr Campbell commented by saying: “This report presents significant progress towards our commitment and work towards creating a more open, equality-driven, representative, relevant university and inspiring curriculum.

“It marks the beginning of a revolutionary process to create a higher education system that is fully fit and inclusive for the 21st century”, he added.

The study by Leicester University is part of a series of projects aimed at addressing the awarding gap for students from BAME backgrounds.

At the time of writing, more than 52% of students at the university of Leicester come from a BAME background. The university has a 9% attainment gap between the probability of white students and those from a BAME background getting a first or 2.1.

In June 2020, the University of Leicester launched a scheme to try and recruit more academics from BAME backgrounds.