Image: Wikimedia Commons / joshjdss
Image: Wikimedia Commons / joshjdss

England legend Fara Williams announces retirement

20 years after making her professional debut, England’s record appearance holder Fara Williams has decided to hang up her boots as she retires from the game.

Despite being offered multiple opportunities to continue playing football, the 37-year-old expressed that she is “not mentally and physically ready to do another year”. This comes after a string of health issues for Williams who was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome, a disorder linked to kidney damage, after undergoing thigh surgery in 2020. 

Undesirable side effects from medication used to treat the disorder, such as weight gain, have proved strenuous for the Reading midfielder, significantly impacting her game time in the 2020/21 WSL season. Undoubtedly, such obstacles will have led to her difficult decision to call time as a player.

Williams’ 20-year dazzling career has seen her achieve countless domestic, international and personal triumphs, while shaping herself to become a true legend within the women’s game.

Williams remains the highest capped player – male or female – to have worn the England shirt

Over two decades, the midfielder has enjoyed two WSL victories with Liverpool, as well as two FA Cup titles, firstly with Everton in 2010 and again in 2016 with Arsenal. 

On the international stage, Williams has participated in four European championships, the London 2012 Olympic Games and three World Cup tournaments. Perhaps her most important contribution to England came at the 2015 World Cup, when she converted a crucial penalty during extra-time to win the side a bronze medal. 

With 172 senior appearances to her name, Williams remains the highest capped player – male or female – to have worn the England shirt and, in 2016, she was awarded an MBE in recognition of her significant service to football. 

However, what many people do not realise is that Fara Williams’ greatest achievements were born from years of struggle. 

As a teenager, Williams became estranged from her mother, leading to a six-year period of homelessness. Despite being of no fixed abode, the midfielder continued to impress while playing for Chelsea, Charlton and England, with her team-mates completely oblivious to her circumstances. 

Although the idea of a female footballer being both homeless and playing for their country may seem bizarre today, it’s worth being reminded that the WSL became professional just three years ago, back in 2018. Choosing to remain within an industry which was unfavourable to women at the time rather than giving it all up to guarantee a less precarious living situation demonstrates the extent of Williams’ passion and commitment to the game.

Having no fans in the stands is just like the beginning, when “no-one came to watch us”

– Fara Williams

It was ex-England manager Hope Powell that first realised Williams’ struggle, crucially helping her to find stable accommodation and ultimately granting her a pathway to her success which otherwise may not have been possible. Powell speaks highly of the midfielder, commending her for her “extraordinary contribution to the women’s game”.

Last Sunday saw Williams last moments on the pitch as Reading faced their final fixture of the season, away at Chelsea, a club which has played a significant role in the 37-year-old’s career as well as being the team she has supported from a young age. She reflected on how having no fans in the stands was just like the beginning, when “no-one came to watch us”, serving as a reminder of how much the women’s game has progressed while she has been at the heart of it.

While she may no longer be on the pitch, we should expect to see Williams on the sidelines. “I talk about football all day, everyday,” she said, offering herself up to a potential career move to punditry.