Student party at the University of Dundee leads to rise in Covid-19 cases

A party at the University of Dundee has led to over 30 students testing positive for Covid-19.

The party occurred at a student flat, close to the university’s main campus, on 14 March according to The Dundee Evening Telegraph.

A total of 36 cases have been found thus far. 34 of these cases have been identified as students.

The university is working alongside an incident management team to control the outbreak.

Dundee University claims it announced “further strong reminders” for students to comply with government guidelines. However, students had a gathering at a private residence which is believed to have triggered the surge.

Professor Iain Gillespie, principal and vice-chancellor of the University of Dundee, said: “We are deeply concerned by this outbreak of cases among some of our students, which has been linked to a gathering in a private residence.

We will support any students affected and are urging all those who may be contacted by test-and-trace to fully engage with that process

– Professor Iain Gillespie, vice-chancellor of University of Dundee

“We are working with NHS colleagues to manage the situation and hopefully prevent further spread of the virus”.

“We will support any students affected and are urging all those who may be contacted by test-and-trace to fully engage with that process”.

“We have been constantly reminding all students of the need to follow all of the Covid guidelines, particularly around social gathering and the limits which are in place for us all, and we have issued further strong reminders in light of this outbreak, with the support of the Students’ Association”, he added.

NHS Tayside reported that a multi-agency incident management team (IMT) had been set up to deal with the issue.

Dr Kirsty Licence, a public health consultant who chairs the IMT, stated “A number of students who have tested positive for Covid-19, and their close contacts are self-isolating”.

She says the team continue to “ensure there is support in place for students should they need it”.

Meanwhile, officials from St Andrews University disclosed it was dealing with a “sudden and significant” rise in Covid cases amid students, with over 40 self-isolating.