International students petition for partial tuition fee compensation from UK government

International students from UK universities are demanding for the UK government to “provide at least partial compensation” for tuition fees as Covid-19 restrictions have significantly impacted their student experience this academic year. 

A group of campaigners led by Jian Feng, international student executive officer at Leeds University Union, have created a petition directly addressed to the UK government which has accumulated over 20,000 signatures to date. 

The UK government has yet to respond after the number of signatories had surpassed the threshold of 10,000 for an official reply.

The campaigners acknowledged that while universities are responsible for the “[failure] to provide adequate teaching”, many cannot afford to compensate students. 

Feng also stated that it would be challenging for international students to apply for monetary compensation from the government as the majority do not qualify for hardship funds, which are only allocated to students who are “really, really in an emergency… [who] have no money to spend”.

This issue was discussed by the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) in its case summaries of complaints arising from the impact of Covid-19. 

We don’t get a chance to study in the UK to experience the cultural difference, the campus and make new friendships

– Jian Feng

The report addressed some 500 complaints from students regarding their unsatisfactory university experience as well as unused university accommodation. On the latter issue, the OIA has stated that “most providers decided not to charge students (or to refund those who had paid) for accommodation for at least part of the period the students were not living in it”. 

According to the OIA, student complaints also raised the issue of universities being unable to “deliver practical experience that was an important part of their course”. 

Some providers have offered alternatives to these students which have enabled most of them to complete their studies; however, these alternatives did not work for all students and “they did not have the learning experience that they reasonably expected”. 

Feng added that: “[Students] don’t get a chance to study in the UK to experience the cultural difference, the campus and make new friendships.

“Studying abroad, speaking a second language in a foreign country, these experiences can shape the future our younger generation of international students and we just lose this experience. That why in the past, we were happy to pay for that because we really want these experiences… but this year we just can’t have it.”