Image: Carine06 / Wikimedia Commons- Garbine Muguruza

Garbine Muguruza secures first title since 2019 at Dubai Championships

Two-time Grand Slam champion Garbine Muguruza defeated Barbora Krejcikova 7-6 (8-6) 6-3 to claim her first title since 2019. Muguruza fought back from two mini-breaks and a set point down to clinch the first set and took control of the second to win the Dubai Championships.

“It means a lot because it’s never easy to win a title,” the former world number one told reporters.

“I’m excited it happened after a few finals that didn’t go my way, it’s a nice relief to hold a champion’s trophy instead of a runner-up’s.”

Seeded ninth in the tournament, the Spaniard’s journey to victory was not easy. Her coach, Conchita Martinez tested positive for COVID-19, forcing them to hold video calls throughout the tournament. Muguruza was also taxed physically and mentally from her loss in the previous week’s Doha final.

Despite the tough draw, Muguruza beat reigning Roland Garros Champion Iga Swiatek and produced a thrilling comeback from a set and break down against number one ranked doubles player Aryna Sabalenka.

She finally secured a spot in the final after a seven-match point struggle against Elise Mertens.

“It was very challenging, more than people think, with so many things that happened, we stood strong and I’m very proud of my whole team,” said Muguruza in her post-match interview.

Krejcikova proved to be a tricky opponent for Muguruza in the final, which was her first meeting with the Czech 25-year-old. Krejcikova’s ability to mix up shots combined with an aggressive topspin forehand is uncommon in the women’s game but her progress was undermined by 29 unforced errors.

Despite a serious challenge from her opponent, Muguruza held onto her tight advantage and pulled through to bring her yearly record to 18 wins and four losses.

Muguruza’s victory ends her two-year run without a WTA title. Will her fine form continue?