Image: The Kaleidoscope Plus Group Press Release

‘Clubs must do more to prepare professionals for life after football’, says leading mental health charity

The Kaleidoscope Plus Group, a leading mental health and wellbeing charity, has called on football clubs to do more to prepare players for “life after football.”

The charity’s statement comes after James Aspinall, a former Bolton Wanderers trainee, told ITV News about the mental health issues he experienced after he was released by Wigan Athletic.

According to an ITV survey, almost 90% of players experienced depression or anxiety following their release.

Monica Shafaq, CEO of The Kaleidoscope Plus Group and non-executive director of Kidderminster Harriers FC, said: “Football is ruthless. So many kids devote their time & energy hoping to be the next big thing. Less than 1% make it.

“The feeling of loss is like being bereaved. Clubs and academies must do more to prepare kids & professionals for life after football. Their mental health matters too.

“Proper educational and emotional support pathways need to be provided within football, so players, no matter what age or level, have the tools to deal with the emotional distress of being released, whilst also having the skills to do something else.”

Last September, The Kaleidoscope Plus Group became the first mental health charity to sponsor a National League club, after forming a partnership with Kidderminster Harriers.

The charity says there’s still so much to be done

The partnership was created in an effort to help tackle the stigma that surrounds mental health within football and to help the club’s players access mental health and wellbeing support. However, the charity says there’s still so much to be done.

Neil Male, the CEO of Kidderminster Harriers, added: “Mental health has a huge stigma within football, but our partnership with The Kaleidoscope Plus group has enabled us to work with players from the grassroots up to our first team, to educate and support them during their time with us and beyond.”

“The survey, conducted by ITV News, highlights the importance of our partnership with The Kaleidoscope Plus Group, but it’s clear that there’s still so much to be done within clubs and the wider football community to support players’ mental health and wellbeing on and off the pitch as well as when they leave.”