Image: Wikimedia Commons / Katie Chan
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Katie Chan

Women’s Super League: Chelsea on course for back-to-back titles

It’s fair to say that the Women’s Super League has faced a rocky start to 2021. Multiple Covid-19 cases, extreme weather conditions and un-fieldable squads have led to numerous postponements and large-scale disruption to gameplay.

Despite these complications, January has seen the competition ramp up a notch, including record-breaking performances and tremendous defeats. As competition for the top spots becomes increasingly intense, let’s take a look at who is on track for WSL highs and lows.

After a mid-week 4-0 win at Aston Villa, Chelsea have recently found themselves as both league-leaders and record-breakers. The fixture saw the Blues mark their 32nd unbeaten WSL game. Although Emma Hayes’ side and Manchester United both carry 32 points, Chelsea have a game in hand and are unmatchable on goal difference.

This is thanks to the efforts of Fran Kirby, Sam Kerr, and Pernille Harder who have consistently appeared on the score sheet. German midfielder Melanie Leupolz has also emerged as a stand out play-maker this month.

Considering Chelsea’s remarkable achievement, it seems increasingly likely – if not certain – that they will retain their title at the end of the season. While for some teams, lifting the WSL trophy twice in-a-row would be satisfying enough, Hayes and her side are vying to go the extra mile and become the first English team in fourteen years to win the Women’s Champions League. With the draw for the round of sixteen taking place on 16 February, fans are waiting patiently to hedge their bets on the Blues’ chance of glory.

The opportunity would come as an outstanding feat for Casey Stoney’s side who were created just two years ago

If Manchester United end the season as runners-up of the WSL, they will be granted their first taste of European competition later this year. The opportunity would come as an outstanding feat for Casey Stoney’s side who were created just two years ago. The arrival of USWNT stars Christen Press and Tobin Heath, who was ruled out for up to 12 weeks after recently suffering an ankle injury in training, has boosted the Red Devils.

However, two homegrown talents have also contributed to United’s success this season. Forwards Leah Galton and Ella Toone have each racked up six goals for their club so far, with Galton notably delivering several strikes that are worthy of being ‘goal of the season’. The offensive duo are United’s greatest asset in their fight against Chelsea.

A year ago, the idea that Manchester City would be behind their neighbours in the standings would have seemed farfetched. But that’s the reality now. City have managed to win their last five matches, most recently an astonishing 7-1 win over Brighton. The Citizens will hope that incoming American arrival Abby Dahlkemper can provide the flair required to keep them on track.

Bottom of the table Bristol City secured their first win of the season in their latest fixture against Brighton

Back in November, Arsenal were league-leaders and serious contenders to lift the WSL trophy, after opening the season with five-straight wins. Since then, they have slowly slipped into a much more precarious position, now placed fourth in the competition. Although two consecutive postponed matches have hindered their campaign, their 1-1 draw with Reading last month led to criticism of Joe Montemurro and his squad’s sub-par performance. The Gunners face Manchester City in their next fixture, the result of which will be crucial for both sides.

Bottom of the table Bristol City secured their first win of the season in their latest fixture against Brighton, although the side have picked up just five points since the beginning of the season. Newly promoted Aston Villa, who sit just beneath them have also struggled with persistent defeat, notably suffering a 7-0 loss against Manchester City last month.

If these clubs do not see a drastic improvement in performance soon, it is certain that when they face each other on 24 April, the match will serve as a relegation decider.