Image: Loic Verstrepen Sande / The Boar

Meet your candidates: SU Trans Students’ Officer

Meet the candidates running to be your next Students’ Union Trans Students’ Officer in this year’s spring elections.

Abi Baxter ENE

I’m Abi Baxter, my pronouns are she/her, and I’m running to be the trans officer in the spring elections this year. I’m passionate about trans liberation and representing student interests in the Student Union. COVID19 has put students in precarious mental and financial situations, both areas where trans students already suffered.

As Warwick’s trans officer, I will make sure that the trans community is always a consideration within SU policies, and advocate for more specific support for us all. Everyone has a right to a safe, accepting and comfortable uni experience, no matter their gender identity.

Why are you running for this role?

It’s important that everyone belonging to the trans community here at Warwick is represented, no matter how they identify. Trans people face an increasingly hostile environment here in the UK, and I will fight for both increased support and visibility for us within the university. As an SU Officer, I would work alongside other liberation officers to ensure every student has access to a fair and safe university experience.

What, in your opinion, most needs changing at Warwick?

It’s become clear that the university does not prioritise students over profit. Whether it’s reports of assault or ignoring the demands of the rent strikes, it’s clear that student’s welfare and demands are dismissed and minimised. The university would rather scrape a tiny extra profit than materially support their trans students. By voting for myself and the Education not Exploitation (ENE) slate you can make sure the student voice is no longer unrepresented.

What has been your favourite memory from your time at Warwick?

Meeting lots of new people during the first few weeks of term before the lockdowns, especially through the Handball Club. There are welcoming and accepting communities at Warwick and I’m really excited to become more active within them when it’s safe. The best parts of the university are the people you meet, which is why I would be proud to represent the student community.

Disclaimer: candidates’ answers have not been edited. The opinions featured here do not reflect the opinions of The Boar.