Image: Loic Verstrepen Sande / The Boar

Meet your candidates: SU president

Meet the candidates running to be your next Students’ Union President in this year’s spring elections.

Megan Clarke ENE

Hi, I’m Megan Clarke, your current SU Education Officer and Deputy President, and in this year’s Spring Elections I’m running to be your SU President. I’ve spent the last 7 months as your Education Officer standing up for students, I’ve fought for a comprehensive safety net policy and won more self-certifications for every student.
We have been failed by the university throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, vote for me and the rest of the Education Not Exploitation (ENE) team for an SU that’s not afraid to stand up for students.

Why are you running for this role?

As students, we have been exploited by our universities and government for years. This year, as Education Officer, I have seen first-hand how we have been lied to about our experience to keep us paying extortionate fees and rent. I want to be next year’s SU President so I can fight this exploitation with you, and fight for a university that puts student welfare first.

What, in your opinion, most needs changing at Warwick?

Warwick has lurched from crisis to crisis for years, putting revenue raising ahead of student welfare every step of the way. There needs to be significant culture change to ensure that student needs always come first – whether that means tuition fee or rent refunds, a comprehensive safety net, excellent mental health support or tackling racism and sexual abuse on campus.

What has been your favourite memory from your time at Warwick?

My favourite memory from my time at Warwick is bittersweet. I was in first year when the news of the Group Chat first broke, and in second year when I helped organise the second Shame on You Warwick march which over 500 students attended.
The fact that we even had to protest against rape culture on our campus was appalling, but the solidarity between women students gave to each other on that day, remains my favourite memory at Warwick.

Shingai Dzumbira

Hello I’m Shingai. I am the Postgraduate Officer of the Students’ Union and I am running for Presidency. I have a deep love for people and ensuring they have what they need to excel. Over the past few months, I have worked to build relationships within the SU and the University that would allow me to continue influencing change to ease burdens students are facing.

I am an independent thinker, unperturbed by petty tactics and opposition thus ensuring students are at the centre of the SU’s agenda. I believe this makes me an officer the SU needs at this time.

Why are you running for this role?

During my tenure as postgraduate officer, I have recognised that the SU requires leadership that is bold enough to stand for what students want and need. As president I would have greater scope to make structural changes within the SU to ensure that all students are actively engaged and represented. I have begun this process within the SU in the capacity I had as PG officer and intend to increase the scale in my time as president.

The university often finds itself out of touch with students which is detrimental at a time like this. There is a discrepancy between the desired effects of support measures that are put in place and the actual effect they have in the lives of students. I believe there needs to be an increased awareness of the realities of the current student experience. This would change the approach to designing academic and wellbeing policies.

My favourite memories always stem back to moments where learning was fun. The moments I have had to learn from my peers in a conducive learning environment. I have been at Warwick since 2016 and every moment I cherish was formed when I could be creative, to be unapologetically expressive and to engage with people from different walks of life. Though the memory isn’t singular, it is moments such as these that have been important to me.

Leonardo Palma Carranza

Isn’t it time the Students’ Union fought for the things that matter to you? I’m Leo, SU Societies Officer 2018-19, and I’m running to be your SU President. As an officer, I focussed on what students cared about – cutting red tape, increasing society funding, and delivering the first Welcome Week. I know the difference the SU can make when it’s not preoccupied with infighting. I know what it takes to be a successful officer. I know we can make this University and SU work for students. Because it’s time the SU fought for the things that matter to you.

Why are you running for this role?

The SU failed to hold the University accountable and defend students during this pandemic. The SU has failed to support students suffering from abuse, discrimination and assault. The SU has let us all down. We can change that, together. I’ve seen the difference an effective SU can make and all the positive changes it does for our community. I know I have the experience and drive to make it a reality – for all students.

The biggest change would be stopping the University from being run as a business. Throughout this pandemic, it’s been painfully clear the University only cares about how much money it can take from students, rather than providing the university experience we deserve. From charging full tuition for online learning to abandoning student renters, it’s clear we aren’t the priority. It’s time to remind the University why it exists and put student interests first again.

Looking back, I think my fondest memory is being elected as Social Sec for Warwick Politics Society. Not just because running circle is great fun (it really is, try it!) but because the role is so important to how new members get introduced to the society. I’m particularly proud to have been part of a society that diversified social offerings to include sober and physical activities so everyone could feel included, and dramatically increasing our membership.

Luke Shortland

My name’s Luke Shortland, and I’m standing to be your President.
Over my four years at Warwick, I’ve held your Officers to account – attending Student Council, and representing you nationally at NUS Conferences. I’m Chairman of my SSLC, so I am also used to challenging university management!
As we come out of this pandemic, the SU needs to change its priorities.
Sabbs have spent too much time arguing with each-other and creating fake political parties.
We need to work to secure a better mitigation package, campaign to lower the cost of living, and host social events as soon as possible!
#LiveLaughLuke

Why are you running for this role?

I chose to stand for President because I don’t want to narrow myself down. I want to talk about social events, I want to talk about bus passes, and I want to talk about the obscene prices in Rootes Grocery Store.
But I also want to challenge the University on their appalling mitigation “package”, improve our offering to working-class students (who currently have to beg the uni for money), and much more. This role is best for that.

Currently, the most pressing issue with our education is the mitigation “package”. It offers no reassurances to students that they will get the grade that they deserve, and talks about how we’re all apparently finding this year “much easier” because we’re “used to online lessons”.
In terms of the SU, students are increasingly annoyed about its culture. Sabbs putting posts on Facebook publicly ‘calling-out’ other officers for playing with students’ lives, because the SU held a COVID-compliant POP? Not on.

Definitely Summer 2018 – when football nearly came home. The World Cup matches were displayed on the Piazza screen, and it was amazing. As your average gay, I’m not the biggest fan of football, but even I enjoyed sitting with my friends, having a couple of beers, and cheering as England won more than we ever thought possible.
One of my priorities as President would be to use the big screen more! Our Piazza is such an asset – we should use it more than twice a year.

The Emperor

Citizens of Warwick!

The Students’ Union is not what it once was. The SU is full of greedy, squabbling delegates who are only looking out for themselves. There is no interest in the common good… no civility, only politics… it’s disgusting. I must be frank, there is little chance the Students’ Union will act on our priorities.

Our best choice would be to push for the election of a stronger President. One who will take control of the bureaucrats, enforces the laws, and give us justice.

Why are you running for this role?

I have been motivated by the truth. What if i told you that the Students’ Union was now under the control of a dark lord of the Sith? The Dark Side has clouded The Jedi’s vision. Hundreds of students are now under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious.

In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Students Union will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for 10,000 years.

I have been every voice you have ever heard, inside your head.

Hrithik Mahajan

Candidate did not respond.

Disclaimer: candidates’ answers have not been edited. The opinions featured here do not reflect the opinions of The Boar.