Image: Loic Verstrepen Sande / The Boar

Meet your candidates: Faculty of Social Science Exec, Faculty Representative

Meet the candidates running to be your next Faculty of Social Science Exec – Faculty Representative in this year’s spring elections.

Ananya Bagri

Hi! My name is Ananya Bagri. I’m a first-year law student and I’m running to be your Social Sciences Faculty Representative. I would describe myself as empathetic and committed. I get my work done and make the best effort to go above and beyond. I listen carefully and am very approachable. As a person, I tend to look for solutions instead of dwelling on problems, and I work well in groups. I hope that my past experiences will put me in a strong position to carry out this role, and request you to read my manifesto for more information. Thank you!

Why are you running for this role?

I am running for this position because I want to represent students within social sciences as a united, collective body. I want to ensure that everyone has an equal voice that’s heard, and that all suggestions and concerns are discussed. More importantly, I want to make discussion into action. Being an SSLC representative for law has taught me about the inner workings of student-staff liaison, and I will translate what I learnt into this new role.

What, in your opinion, most needs changing at Warwick?

I believe the University should foster a better sense of community. This, of course, extends beyond the realm of social sciences. Online learning has made us more disconnected, and, especially for first-years, it has limited our ability to forge friendships and network with peers. Creating interdisciplinary virtual study spaces, having online social spaces, and continuing to make on-campus common areas available (with strict safety measures, of course) should be enacted. This will be one of my priorities.

What has been your favourite memory from your time at Warwick?

As an international student, I was only on campus for a week (it’s a long story). Despite that, two things left an indelible mark on me. The first was fresher’s week, where, even though it was online, I got to meet new people and get involved in different activities. The second was hanging out with my friends at the Piazza. We ordered pizza and fries from the food truck and savored its warmth on a cold, breezy Monday!

Maurizio Cuttin

Hey, my name is Maurizio, I’m 19, a second year PPL student, and the current Chair of the PPL SSLC. Born in Venezuela, I moved to the UK in 2010, where I’ve been missing the warm weather ever since. In terms of career prospects, being someone who’s passionate about human rights and US politics, I aspire to become a diplomat involved in matters of security and conflict resolution. In my spare time, I like to work out and watch comedy sit-coms (currently watching How I Met Your Mother for what I can only assume to be the 20thtime).

Why are you running for this role?

I’m running to be your next Social Sciences Faculty Rep because I believe I have what it takes to deliver real results. From being an elected Deputy Member of Youth Parliament to the current Chair of the PPL SSLC, I’ve always valued the importance of reaching out to my constituents, hearing their concerns, and then addressing them to the relevant body/individual. Active engagement is something I’ve always championed and will continue to champion if elected!

I think Warwick struggles to understand just how hard-hitting the pandemic has been for us all. No longer being able to socialise, attend in-person lectures and seminars has made what was already a lot of work, a million times harder. Motivation to work is in low supply, and I think this is an area where the Uni could do more to help (e.g., by providing a stronger and fairer safety net to students).

My favourite memory has got to be from last year’s Warwick Congress’ annual conference. As the then-Editor of Warwick Congress, I was tasked with interviewing some of our guest speakers after their keynotes. I found it really accomplishing and fulfilling to interview and hear from these leaders in their field. The conference was really rewarding and certainly gave me greater perspective on some key issues – a weekend to remember!

Samia Sulayman

I am running for the position as I wish to relay the requests of students and put forth good  ideas to bring about positive change within the departments. Having spent two years at the University of Warwick and conversed with students across different departments, I  believe my knowledge would enable me to carry out the role exceptionally. I am  passionate about the role and all it encompasses, I am particularly interested in receiving feedback, relaying this to the departments in the most articulate way possible and then  working with the department to provide a solution or find a middle ground.

Why are you running for this role?

I am running for faculty rep as I believe through this role, I would be able to influence the  decisions of the department and inspire positive changes. The role is directly linked to the  welfare of students which I aim to impact positively, especially as the plight of students  has been highlighted in the news recently. I would advocate making student’s opinion a  decisive factor in faculty decision making, to ensure student needs are upheld by the  university.  

Feedbacks tailored to individual students are highly desired for every module, the  university does try to provide feedback to students however they are mostly generic and  not applicable to everyone’s weaknesses. Another factor is that of selective answering  common to most emails I have exchanged with my department. After conversing with  students in other departments I realised that was a common factor in most departments. 

These are some of the important features that need changing at the University of Warwick.

My favourite memories at the University of Warwick are linked to attending and engaging  in societal and networking events. Through these events, I was able to make friends,  expand my network and also meet my current housemates. I was also able to gain insight  into student experiences in different departments; the complaints and the praises as well  as explore the university through the perspective of various people. From these  experiences, I have been able to grow as an individual.

Precious Omofia

Candidate did not respond.

Ollie Sanderson-Nichols 

Candidate did not respond.

Shivansh Trivedi

Candidate did not respond.

Disclaimer: candidates’ answers have not been edited. The opinions featured here do not reflect the opinions of The Boar.