Image: Wikimedia Commons / Sandro Halank
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Sandro Halank - Thomas Tuchel

Assessing Chelsea’s tactical evolution under Thomas Tuchel

Thomas Tuchel has been in England for a week and he has already improved Chelsea. The German coach, appointed to replace club legend Frank Lampard, was recruited on account of his tactical pedigree; early indications suggest Tuchel was a wise appointment.

A graduate of the Ralph Ragnick school of football, Tuchel is well-versed in coaching under the spotlight. The 47-year-old gained Champions League pedigree with Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund; and will be hoping to make an impact on the Premier League with his new club.

In his opening fixtures as Chelsea head coach, Tuchel set-out his side in a 3-4-2-1 formation. Tuchel partnered Oliver Giroud with Hakim Ziyech and Kai Havertz in attack for his Premier League bow against Wolves. Four days later, Chelsea lined-up with an attacking trio of Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount, and Timo Werner against Burnley.

With Tuchel still assessing the players at his disposal, it would be futile to read into Chelsea’s line-ups at this stage. Tactically, however, three themes have emerged.

1)      Chelsea will prioritise possession over pressing this season

It is still early days in the Tuchel era; however, it is already clear that the Blues aspire to be more like prime Manchester City than peak Liverpool. So far, Chelsea has averaged 75% possession under Tuchel.

The West London outfit is set-up to retain possession in their opponents’ half, with Chelsea’s wing backs occupying high and wide positions whenever possible. This formulation allows Tuchel’s central midfield pair to dictate the play from deep, while the two wide tens occupy the half-spaces.

Against a back four, this means that Chelsea will always have at least one attacking player between the opposition’s centre back and full back. When deployed against a back three, Chelsea’s wide tens sit on the outside shoulder of the wide defenders.

Chelsea’s shape in attack is a 3-2-4-1, somewhat similar to that of Pep Guardiola’s City on occasion. This system will allow Chelsea to overload their opponents in the final third, especially in the area between defence and midfield, but could leave the Blues vulnerable to the counter.

In a matter of days in the dugout, Tuchel has implemented an advanced tactical approach. The same cannot be said of Lampard’s 18 months in charge.

2)  Callum Hudson-Odoi is central to Tuchel’s plans

Sidelined under Lampard, Callum Hudson-Odoi has been restored to Chelsea’s starting eleven under Tuchel. The subject of Bayern Munich’s overtures for the past 18 months, Hudson-Odoi made a name for himself at youth level as a flight-footed winger, capable of beating his defender off the dribble.

Under Tuchel, Hudson-Odoi’s role is different. The England international looks set to be remodelled as a right wing back this season; so far, the change has suited him well.

The Wandsworth-born 20-year-old has been entrusted with running operations from the flank and has looked comfortable doing so. With Chelsea’s wide tens occupying the half-spaces, Hudson-Odoi has had room to exploit of late; he has used it well.

It remains to be seen how Hudson-Odoi will fare when asked to take on more defensive responsibility against better sides – but early signs have been encouraging nonetheless.

3)  Movement is still an issue for the Blues

Lampard was ultimately ousted from the Chelsea hot-seat because of his lack of tactical nuance. Under his leadership, the Blues lacked a clear identity. What were Chelsea’s attacking runners meant to do? Where was Havertz meant to be stationed? When were Chelsea’s midfielders meant to feed Werner?

The answers to those questions were never clear under the former Derby County manager; the story has changed under Tuchel.

Chelsea’s wide tens are expected to drift in the half-spaces. Callum Hudson-Odoi is required to charge from deep down the right. The double-pivot in central midfield asked to sit and dictate the pace of the game.

It will take Chelsea months to work out how this squad fits together under their German coach but it is clear that some semblance of identity has returned to Stamford Bridge.

In the Blues 0-0 draw against Wolves, Chelsea accumulated 0.73 xG to Wolves’ 0.68 xG. In their 2-0 win over Burnley, Chelsea notched 1.43 xG to Burnley’s 0.40 xG. Small steps but progress nonetheless.

Thomas Tuchel still has a tonne of questions to answer but he should be relatively pleased with his start to life in West London. The race for Europe is on; Chelsea is back in the hunt.