Harshest policy
Image: The Boar / Abbey Parker

Warwick University study space policy harshest in Russell Group 

The University of Warwick’s decision to close the library is one of the harshest in the Russell Group, with other universities keeping their libraries open.

The library initially stayed open when the third lockdown was announced, but was then closed a few days later when the Covid Mitigation Package was announced.

Three study spaces remain open on campus: the Rootes Learning Grid, the Postgraduate Hub and the BioMed Grid.

Only the Rootes Learning Grid is open to all students, with the BioMed grid restricted to Medical School and Life Sciences students and the Postgraduate Hub to postgraduate students. 

Many other Russell Group Universities have kept their libraries open in some capacity. York University has kept its library open for independent study.

Leeds, Cardiff and Southampton Universities have introduced a booking system to ensure that their libraries do not reach above capacity.

Oxford University has kept two of its central libraries open, with colleges given the freedom to keep their own libraries open.

The operation of libraries at this challenging time varies considerably across UK universities. However in cases a key factor is where the universities think that they can safely provide study spaces

–University of Warwick

Several Warwick students have reported that the Rootes Learning Grid is reaching capacity by midday, but has been extended to satisfy demand.

The Library is continuing to offer a click and collect service.

Warwick University told The Boar:  “The operation of libraries at this challenging time varies considerably across UK universities. However in cases a key factor is where the universities think that they can safely provide study spaces.

“In our case additional spaces in the Rootes Flexi-Grid have been opened in recent days and the situation is monitored daily, with more spaces opening up as required across campus.”