Image: Luke James
Image: Luke James

Preview: Leamington aim to spring FA Trophy upset versus Wrexham

Paul Holleran’s Leamington FC will hope to spring a cup upset this afternoon, as they travel to North Wales to face Wrexham AFC in the FA Trophy. The Brakes are unbeaten in ten matches and secured their place in the third round of the competition with a 5-0 win over St. Ives Town in midweek.

Wrexham, recently purchased by Hollywood duo Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, secured their place in today’s contest after completing a remarkable comeback victory over Weymouth on Tuesday evening. The Welsh side netted the wining-goal in dramatic fashion, after Reece Hall-Johnson’s 95th minute cross evaded the Weymouth goalkeeper and crept over the line.

Leamington’s path to round three of the FA Trophy was less histrionic, with the Warwickshire outfit controlling the pace of their second round tie throughout. Summer signings Danny Waldron and Lance Smith shared goal-scoring responsibilities for the Brakes, with the latter netting a memorable first hattrick under Holleran’s leadership.

The FA Trophy was created in 1969 with the intention of creating a cup competition for semi-professional clubs in England. The knock-out competition now features clubs in tiers five to eight of the English football pyramid, otherwise described as steps one to four of non-league.

The Brakes reached the third round last season

Wigan Athletic are the only club to play in an FA Trophy final and reach the Premier League, although the Latics fell to defeat against Scarborough in 1973. The Brakes reached the third round last season, eventually falling to the Essex-based Concord Rangers on penalties.

The competition’s rounds have been renamed for this season, meaning Leamington need to win this afternoon to match their achievements from last term. In 2018/19, the Brakes fell to a 1-0 defeat against Hartleppol United in round one.

Wrexham will provide a tough challenge for Holleran’s side, the Welsh outfit sit eighth in the National League after 13 fixtures. Leamington, meanwhile, themselves in a fine run of form, are currently eighth in the National League North, one goal outside the playoff positions.

FA Trophy, Third Round Proper Fixtures (Saturday 19 December, 15:00)

Altrincham v Chester FC

Ashton United FC v Kettering Town

Bath City v Swindon Supermarine

Boston United v Fylde

Chesham Utd. V Torquay

Chesterfield v Brackley Town

Concord Rangers v Truro City

Dag & Red v Ebbsfleet

Dartford v Haringey Borough

Dorking Wanderers v Barnet

Dulwich Hamlet v Hornchurch AFC

Halifax v Hartlepool

Havant and Waterlooville v Braintree Town

Maidstone v Poole Town

Maldon and Tiptree v Gloucester City

Morpeth Town v Notts Co

Nantwich Town v Hereford FC

Peterborough Sports v Basford United

Solihull M v Farsley Celtic

Spennymoor Town v Southport

St. Albans City v Sutton Utd

Stockport v Guiseley AFC

Wealdstone v Eastleigh

Welwyn Garden City v Aldershot

Weymouth v Maidenhead

Woking v Dover

Wrexham v Leamington