Wikimedia Commons/ TheLostBoy
Wikimedia Commons/ TheLostBoy

Football and discrimination: is there an end in sight?

From the boos at Millwall’s The Den to verbal assault at the Parc de Princes, it is evident that despite the best effort of movements such as ‘Black Lives Matter’ and ‘No Room for Racism’, racial discrimination is still present throughout the footballing world.

On 5 December, Millwall and Derby County’s Championship clash was marred by some Millwall fans booing the players taking a knee prior to kick-off. Fan-based abuse has become something of a distant memory in recent months given the restrictions preventing fan attendance at professional football games. However, the incident last weekend was a rude reminder of the problems that are still so prevalent within the game and among fan culture more generally.

As noted by Derby County caretaker manager Wayne Rooney after the game, we should not “tolerate or accept” the actions of these “mindless” fans. Though a lack of understanding may be to blame for the events, it is still painful to think that such discriminatory behaviour exists in the modern climate.

Following Derby’s 1-0 win, their first-team coach Liam Rosenior admitted that he and the players were inevitably affected by the incident:

“It did hurt, but I wasn’t surprised because what’s happened is that a positive message in terms of unifying people from all different backgrounds – all different creeds, religions, genders, sexualities, races – has been conflated into something that is now being described as political activism.

“I’m really proud to represent my country and my football club, I’m proud to be a black and ethnic minority coach in the game and that hurt, being stood on the touchline hearing the boos… It was something we had prepared for, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say there are players who perform for us and their performances were affected by those supporters.”

Rosenior went on to comment on his sympathies with the Millwall players:

“It must’ve been really, really difficult proudly wearing a Millwall shirt to hear supporters boo something that you believe in, which is not a political message, let’s make this absolutely clear. This is a message about unifying our country.”

Here, Rosenior highlighted what many have seen as the misunderstanding that prompted the reaction from the Millwall fans – that ‘Black Lives Matter’ is a movement of political implications.

Already it seemed steps were being taken in right direction

Following the events of last Saturday and the backlash received as a result, Millwall’s next match against Queen’s Park Rangers on Tuesday 8 December began with a show of unity between the players, a hopeful image that preceded cheers from sections of the gathered fanbase. Already it seemed steps were being taken in right direction. However, on that very same night, we were made aware that issues of discrimination and racism are not just present within football fans.

In Paris Saint-Germain’s clash with Champions League new-boys İstanbul Başakşehir, both teams walked off the pitch following alleged racist abuse on the side-lines, with fourth official Sebastian Coltescu reported to have used a racist term towards the Başakşehir assistant coach, Pierre Webo.

As the incident rumbled on in the early stages of the game, the referee eventually took action, showing Webo a red card for his role in the altercation, though that sending off has been suspended while UEFA further investigates the events.

PSG and France striker Kylian Mbappé said that he was proud of his team-mates and of the Başakşehir players who collectively walked off following the problems on the sidelines.

“Of course, I am proud of what was done. We were not disappointed not to play. We made that decision. We were proud.

A lot of things were said but, in fact, there’s nothing better than actions

– Kylian Mbappé

The match was restarted the following evening, with Neymar scoring a hat-trick and Mbappé adding two goals himself as PSG ran out eventual 5-1 winners of the delayed match. However, the result will inevitably be overshadowed by the events leading to its eventual postponement.

Başakşehir coach Okan Buruk came out after the incident and said: “The referee should have dealt with the situation but he didn’t and we had to show that we stood with Webo.

“The decision was made by the players. Some wanted to go back to the pitch but we stuck together as a team and it was eventually a team decision… We showed the entire world that we are united.”

PSG coach Thomas Tuchel, as well as players Nacer Chadli and Marco Verratti backed the actions of the players after the game in their own interviews. All shared the view that such behaviour is unacceptable in the modern game.

At least, then, it appears that both parties are in unanimous agreement about the inappropriate nature of the official’s actions. However, the fact remains that this is an ongoing problem within the game and further action clearly must be taken to stamp it out.

PSG’s and İstanbul Başakşehir’s players walking off the pitch appeared a fairly effective method, one which would have more effect if fans were present, as they would have been personally affected by the postponement of the match.

The chief of FARE (Football Against Racism in Europe) stated that the players walking off the pitch will act as a “marker” in the ongoing battle against racism within the sport, saying that it was a show of “solidarity with each other.”

Hopefully if such incidents happen again, more actions such as those taken by the players in Tuesday night’s Champions League clash will be seen, as football’s battle with racism rages on.

Though it is unbelievable that such issues remain so prevalent in the modern iteration of the sport, the actions being taken against them are at the very least showing progress, and with any luck, the stain left by discrimination and racism will be wiped clean in the not-too-distant future.