Image: Luke James
Image: Luke James

Local sport to remain behind closed doors after tier decision

The government has announced England’s new tier system, which will be put into force when the national lockdown ends on 2 December.

The regionalisation of coronavirus rules means some clubs around the country will be allowed to welcome a limited number of supporters back into their stadiums for the first time since March.

Coventry City and Warwick District councils have been placed into tier three, meaning that spectators will not be able to attend fixtures in those regions. Neighbouring local authority Birmingham has also been placed into the “very high alert” category, the highest of the tiered system.

The decision means that Leamington FC, Coventry City, Coventry United, and Wasps will continue to play their home fixtures behind closed doors.

Coventry City will continue our preparations for supporters to return safely

– Coventry City

Following the government’s announcement, a Coventry City spokesperson said: “The wider return of fans to football stadiums on a limited basis is welcome, and we look forward to welcoming our fans back to our games when we are able to do so.

“Coventry City will continue our preparations, alongside Birmingham City and local safety authorities, for supporters to return safely when they are allowed to do so.”

Large parts of the Midlands, North East, North West, and the whole of Kent have also been included in the highest tier.

In tier one, a maximum of 4,000 fans will be allowed at outdoor events – although no English Football League clubs fall in the affected areas.

Up to 2,000 fans will be allowed to attend matches held in tier two.

Organised sport will be allowed to resume from 2 December, with gyms and leisure centres also allowed to reopen across all tiers.

Local authority categorisation will be reviewed every two weeks.

The first round of Premier League fixtures which will see the return of supporters will take place on the weekend of 5 and 6 December, with Brighton and Hove Albion, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, and West Ham given clearance to open their doors to fans.