Police catch County lines gang for smuggling over £250,000 worth of drugs into Warwickshire towns.
Image: Wikimedia commons / Vauxford

Covid-19 ‘mega lab’ to be built in Leamington Spa

A new Covid-19  ‘mega lab’ capable of processing 300,000 tests a day is set to open in Leamington in early 2021. 

The site is one of two ‘mega labs’ announced by the Government in an effort to increase Covid-19 testing capacity. 

Once at full capacity each laboratory will be able to process 300,000 tests a day. Current capacity is estimated to be at 519,000 tests a day, with the actual number of tests being processed each day around 320,000.

The Leamington site will generate roughly 2,000 jobs, including staff to directly operate the mega lab and associated jobs in manufacturing and logistics.

The University of Warwick is also assisting in the creation and running of the site.

The University issued the following statement: “The University has been asked if we can help with this initiative and we have offered our full support. We believe that we can provide significant assistance that will be crucial to getting the mega lab up and running quickly and efficiently.

“Even with pre-existing Covid-19 testing commitments we believe that we can also play a key role in the success of this mega lab project.

The University has been asked if we can help with this initiative and we have offered our full support. We believe that we can provide significant assistance that will be crucial to getting the mega lab up and running quickly and efficiently

– University of Warwick

“As one of the leading research led universities we have a significant number of staff and research students with laboratory skills, and experience in the establishment and operation of laboratory spaces, and we are already working closely with the team looking to establish the mega lab.”

The announcement was also welcomed by local government leaders. Councillor Izzi Seccombe, leader of Warwickshire County Council, said: “The new facility will play an important role in the regions recovery, bringing with it up to 2,000 jobs providing a much-needed boost to our economy.

“It is also testament to the work that has gone into making Warwickshire such a standard bearer of technology and innovation.”

Leader of Warwick District Council, Councillor Andrew Day, added: “This new diagnostic laboratory gives a big boost for our local Recover Plan, offering up to 2,000 people with a broad range of skillsets, entry level jobs to highly specialised roles and managerial positions.

“Leamington Spa is an attractive destination for technologically advanced schemes and this important new laboratory has our full support. Warwick District Council has aided that planning processes to work speedily and assisted with the provision of convenient car parking facilities.”