Image: Wikimedia Commons / Pomdu

UCU outraged over Government dismissal of SAGE advice

University and College Union (UCU) members have expressed anger that scientific advice has been ignored, and face-to-face teaching has continued at universities.

This outcry comes in response to the release of documents from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE). On 21 September, SAGE advised that “all university and college teaching be online unless face-to-face teaching is absolutely essential”.

Jo Grady, UCU general secretary, responded: “Ministers were given clear recommendations on how to stem the spread of the virus before term started at the vast majority of universities. They could have taken swift and decisive action then and instructed universities to move their teaching online to mitigate against tens of thousands of students moving across the country.“

Staff from a number of universities, including Warwick, Sheffield, Newcastle, Leeds and Birmingham, have therefore signalled that they will ballot for strike action over the dismissal of the SAGE advice.

Covid-19 cases have soared in student areas across the country since term began four weeks ago. 110 UK universities have outbreaks of Covid-19, with more than 15,000 students and staff having tested positive so far.

Nottingham, Newcastle and Durham have been the hardest-hit universities, with all three reporting over 1,500 cases among staff and students.

This pattern is mirrored in Coventry, with Zarah Sultana, MP for Coventry South, drawing attention to the fact that roughly 40% of total cases are in the 18-21 age group, and echoing the UCU calls for all teaching to be moved online.

The chaos we see on campus and in halls of residence now is a direct result of ministers’ decision to ignore that advice and choose to put the health of university staff, students and local communities at risk

– Jo Grady

Ms Sultana criticised Warwick University for its handling of Covid as the highest infection rates in the city are in the heavily student-populated University and Cannon Park area.

She also supported Warwick UCU’s decision to ballot over industrial action following the University’s decision not to move all teaching online where possible.

Larissa Kennedy, president of the National Union of Students, argued that the SAGE advice was ignored for the purpose of profit: “It is clear that students have been sold a lie about their experience this term by universities that have prioritised their income over the health of their staff and students, because the government failed to offer them the financial support and guidance required to act in the interests of safety.”

Dr Grady criticised the government’s advice for universities to continue with face-to-face teaching: “The chaos we see on campus and in halls of residence now is a direct result of ministers’ decision to ignore that advice and choose to put the health of university staff, students and local communities at risk.”