Image: Katie Chan / Wikimedia Commons
Image: Katie Chan / Wikimedia Commons

FAWSL: Arsenal launch title challenge

With the 2020/21 Women’s Super League having kicked off at the beginning of September after a long, six-month break due to the coronavirus pandemic, the season is now in full swing. A month of the campaign been completed and so far, the action has not left fans disappointed.

With huge wins, shock defeats and superstar performances from world-class players, it’s time to take a look at the standings and consider which teams are true contenders to clinch the title.

After opening the year with five wins from five games, Arsenal currently lead the title race. Arsenal, last crowned champions in 2018, are already carrying an immense twenty-five-point goal difference, and are in prime position to lift the trophy once again. This figure comes after some colossal wins, such as a 9-1 rout of West Ham United in September and a 6-1 demolition of Spurs earlier this month, with super striker Vivianne Miedema consistently appearing on the score sheet.

Arsenal are yet to meet rivals and title holders Chelsea, but when the heavily anticipated battle commences, the outcome will be key in determining if the current leaders remain favourites.

Although Manchester City may have made some of the most high-profile signings of the summer with the likes of Rose Lavelle and Lucy Bronze joining the squad, they have failed to truly dominate so far.

Gareth Taylor’s side will be left trailing behind in the race for the WSL title

Having lost to Chelsea and drawn with both Reading and Brighton, two teams which they were able to confidently and consistently beat last season, City have started the season sluggishly. When the side has won, it has not always been convincingly, such as their season opener, which ended in just a 2-0 victory to newly-promoted Aston Villa. It seems that unless the Citizens can significantly strengthen their attack, Gareth Taylor’s side will be left trailing behind in the race for the WSL title.

With a game in hand, title-holders Chelsea currently sit comfortably in the top three off the back of three consecutive wins. After a slow start to the season, drawing 1-1 to Manchester United, the Blues will surely feel more confident about retaining their title after their recent 3-1 victory over Manchester City.

Having only just returned to the game after a long period of absence due to illness, England’s Fran Kirby was able to get on the score sheet against City. Australian striker Sam Kerr, who has often been dubbed ‘the best in the world’, also added to the Mancunian side’s woes. If these two are able to perform in the same way against Arsenal next month, they will certainly keep their club in the running to lift the trophy.

After finishing in fourth place in their debut WSL season, Manchester United have picked up where they left off by giving an impressive performance so far. Back in September, the Reds managed a 5-2 win over Birmingham and secured a solid 4-2 victory over West Ham before the October break.

They will certainly finish in a higher place than last season

American arrivals Tobin Heath and Christen Press have been, as expected, stand-out players on the pitch, whilst young England international, Alessia Russo, who debuted for the club last month, has often appeared on the score sheet. If United can hold onto the rhythm they have now, they will certainly finish in a higher place than last season.

Perhaps the most unpredictable turn of the WSL season so far has been Everton’s consistent success, which has led to them currently ranking in second, after having finished in sixth place at the end of the 2019/20 season.

At the beginning of the month, they thrashed Aston Villa 6-0, as well as securing a confident 3-1 win over West Ham last weekend. Experienced internationals such as Izzy Christiansen and Valerie Gauvin have proved key in leading the side, with Scottish midfielder Lucy Graham also being a game-changer.

However, the Toffees are yet to face toughest opponents Arsenal and Chelsea, where their winning streak may finally end in defeat and hopes of lifting the trophy are dashed.