A Warwick student’s wardrobe essentials

Starting university or returning for another academic year can be daunting experiences. It’s difficult to know what’s essential to pack when you’re moving to an unfamiliar area and aren’t entirely sure what you’ll be getting up to.

Whether it’s the right attire for the weather, or the most elaborate and adventurous circling costume, it is far too easy to forget the essentials when it comes to your wardrobe. Here’s a Warwick student’s guide to the things you might want to think about packing if you want to be ready for whatever university life throws at you.

Outfits for the weather

If you are not from the Midlands, one thing you must know is it rains. A lot.

This was something that took me by surprise, and as someone who brought coats to university that were less than practical for the weather, I truly suffered the consequences. Because of this, I bought an umbrella and hoped for the best. This was sadly something I also lived to regret.

As I ran to lectures the rain would hammer down on my umbrella. Luckily, it kept me dry. This was all well and good. The hardship was when I arrived at my lecture with a dripping wet umbrella that would rub against my leg for the next hour. On my way back, the rain would clear up and the sun would poke out from behind a cloud. I arrived back at my campus accommodation before realising I left my umbrella in the Oculus lecture hall.

Traditional raincoats seem to be making a well-deserved comeback

Not only are umbrellas easy to forget, a pain to carry around and generally just awkward in seminars, it can also be incredibly windy in the Midlands, and a raincoat is much more convenient than an umbrella which constantly turns in and out.

This year, traditional raincoats seem to be making a well-deserved comeback. Floral prints and pastel colours are among some of the emerging trends of 2020. Whether you want to look indie like Liam Gallagher or chic like Alexa Chung, there are a variety of styles to suit everyone’s shape and styling.

Warm clothing is also vital as an extra barrier to tackle the chilly wind

A waterproof coat is essential and is an item to put right at the top of the list. Warm clothing is also vital as an extra barrier to tackle the chilly wind – think big baggy jumpers for those 2 am trips to the Kebab van on the piazza.

My favourite item of clothing that I bought to suit this purpose was an oversized knitted jumper which probably almost reaches my knees. Not only did it keep me incredibly warm, but I found that loose fitted clothing was extremely comfortable for my first-year escapades around campus. This ranged from meets at The Dirty Duck to late-night study sessions in the library. A baggy jumper is something you absolutely won’t regret.

Outfits for studying 

Whether you prefer morning study or late-night cram sessions, the library offers a perfect spot for revising in comfort. The right attire is pivotal in maintaining concentration and contentment.

Last year, I found if I didn’t wear something I found cosy then often I’d be fidgety and would struggle to complete any work to a high standard. But sometimes it’s extremely difficult to buy something stylish, comfortable and at a reasonable price point.

A familiar fashion statement that captured the attention of many is tie-dye

Since the start of lockdown, a familiar fashion statement that captured the attention of many is tie-dye. Many people bought kits and made some stunning creations themselves to keep busy. A really fun and exciting way to spruce up any comfortable clothing you already have which might have become a bit dull could be to try tie-dying it. Not only does this create something new and practical from something old, it’s also a fun task to bond with new flatmates over.

Since Covid-19 has meant we are all required to wear face masks in indoor spaces, a statement face mask is certainly something we’ll all be flaunting in the library this term.

I have seen so many beautiful face masks over the last few months: homemade floral prints which demonstrate artistry and resourcefulness, horror marks that incite gasps, and cute little children wearing masks that transform them into their favourite animated characters.

Upcycled masks are also far more sustainable than single-use masks

There are several great things about a statement mask, the first being that it looks stunning and you’re protecting others. More elaborate masks also allow you to support local talent and small businesses. I’ve come across so many pages of people recycling old materials and clothes to make facemasks which are often for charity, or small local shops repurposing themselves to adapt to the new normal.

Upcycled masks are also far more sustainable than single-use masks. Though a debate is emerging over the effectiveness of single-use masks versus reusable fabric masks, it is something to look into if you’re concerned about shopping sustainably and supporting local talent.

Outfits for circling

Freshers, if you haven’t heard of circling…you’re in for a treat. Circling is a Warwick tradition of playing embarrassing drinking games with about 50 other people dressed up in a giant circle. There is always a theme and is a brilliant opportunity to express your creativity and be a little daring, whether you drink alcohol or not.

For some, it seems an easy solution to use Amazon and order a £30 fancy dress costume. Super Mario characters, banana suits, and onesies are all popular choices. However, constantly purchasing fancy dress costumes just isn’t sustainable – for the environment or for a student budget.

It is truly amazing what you can achieve with the power of make-up

I find that the most exciting circling creations come from those who harbour their imagination to produce something original and humorous. One way to achieve this isn’t just through your attire, but also through the use of make-up, and I would highly recommend bringing along some basic make-up for this purpose.

For instance, one circle I attended had the theme of ‘Old vs Young’. My friend chose to go as an old man whereas I went as a baby. Other people were wearing long shirts and brought along canes, or bought a baby onesie and bonnet, but we decided to take it a bit further with his costume. It is truly amazing what you can achieve with the power of make-up.

Using an eyeshadow shade slightly darker than the colour of his skin, I filled in all the crinkles on his face. When he smiled, I filled in his smile marks and dimples, as well as the slight creases at the corner of his eyes. When he grimaced, I lightly filled in the creases on his forehead. The result was astonishing. He looked as though he was 50 years older, and it was seriously convincing.

It is important to consider this impact on the environment when choosing your costumes for circling

I can certainly see make-up becoming a more popular choice when it comes to circling, once it resumes, as people become more aware of the impact their fashion has on the environment. Sadly, many people who buy a fancy-dress costume only wear it once.

Last year, The Guardian reported that the equivalent of 83 million plastic bottles in throwaway outfits were sold by leading retailers. At Halloween, the plastic polymer polyester accounted for 69% of the materials that made up Halloween costumes, and cotton made up 10%. So, it is important to consider this impact on the environment when choosing your costumes for circling.

Instead of buying a Disney themed outfit, why not pull together some old clothes for the same effect? Could some old garments become something incredible with a few YouTube videos and a piece of thread? We certainly shouldn’t feel any pressure to buy the most glamorous outfit online, but we should feel an element of pressure to consider our surroundings, as well as promoting environmental fashion.

Outfits for the ambitious Warwick student

Warwick is such a fantastic place to study if you’re looking to network at a careers event or bag yourself your dream internship. If you’re preparing for an interview or attending a career fair, fashion can be critical in giving that shining first impression and presenting yourself as an outgoing and driven individual. Not only this, but the wrong choice in clothing for one of these occasions could throw you off your game.

Recently, I’ve been loving linen suits. They’re ridiculously comfortable, since linen is such a gentle fabric, but are also suited to more relaxed settings and guarantee to make you feel laid back and content when you need to ease your nerves. One thing to watch out for with a linen suit is marking it since everything sticks to the material. This could turn a good outfit day into a disaster, especially with lighter colours. Linen suits can also be on the pricey side.

The most important thing about fashion when starting university is that you define your style

Stylish jackets are brilliant for those events where it’s too informal to wear a suit but too formal to wear jeans. While this is incredibly important, ‘ambition’ can be viewed in a multitude of ways. It can also mean daring and eccentric, as opposed to being goal-oriented and career-driven.

For more audacious incoming Warwick students, colourful statements and unusual garments will get you many a compliment on campus. It’s refreshing to see passers-by who are bold and confident enough to wear what they want. What I love most about fashion on campus is it’s an amalgamation of styles from across the world which meet in harmony.

So, no matter what your ambitions are throughout your life or where you’re from, the most important thing about fashion when starting university is that you define your style and mustn’t allow a new start to restrict your taste.