Image: Warwick Media Library

University of Warwick to host Commonwealth Games athletes in 2022

Student accommodation at the University of Warwick and University of Birmingham will be used to house competitors during the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Organisers have scrapped plans to build an athletes’ village due to the costs of the project.

The NEC Hotel Campus will be used to accommodate 1,900 competitors during the games, following the decision to abandon plans to construct a £500 million athletes’ village in the Perry Bar area.

The organisers of Birmingham 2022 had previously committed to a single-site campus.

The new multi-site campus will see 1,900 athletes and officials housed at the University of Warwick and an additional 2,800 at the University of Birmingham.

Birmingham City Council had previously pledged to build accommodation for up to 6,5000 athletes.

“These are challenging times for all of us,” said Ian Reid, the CEO of Birmingham 2022.

“We recognise that this new model is a move away from the historic norm and we are grateful for the support shown by our partners across the Commonwealth Games Associations.

“This is the sensible and pragmatic thing to do for the Games, the athletes and for the people of Birmingham.”

New housing and transport links will still be constructed in Birmingham, although not on the scale previously expected.

Councillor Ian Ward said: “The key physical legacy from Birmingham 2022 is a regenerated Perry Bar – and by working closely with our Games Partners that is absolutely secure going forward.”

President of the Commonwealth Games Foundation, Dame Louise Martin added: “We remain confident Birmingham 2022 will be delivered on time and on budget – offering a world-class Games experience for athletes, fans and all the businesses and communities that look to benefit from this extraordinary event.”

Lisa Dodd-Mayne, Director of Sport & Active Communities said: “We are delighted to be welcoming 1900 Commonwealth Games competitors to the University of Warwick campus in 2022.

“We know that they also will be delighted with the opportunity to use our new £49 million Sports and Wellness hub and other sports facilities, as part of their Games preparation, and that they will enjoy the University of Warwick’s conference and residential facilities.

“Warwick has significant experience in hosting sports events, conferences & training camps, from single international athletes to groups of 5,000 sportspeople.

“We’re ready and geared up to welcome the athletes to Warwick.”

UPDATE: (12.08.2020 16.09): The University of Warwick told The Boar that the Games, scheduled to take place between 28 July and 8 August will not affect the University’s summer outreach programmes.

The University will be receiving remuneration for housing athletes on campus, but did not specify how much.

They added: “The Games themselves of course take place when the majority of students will not be on campus but we will talk to the Games organisers over the next two years to see if there ways they can engage with the student body.”