Image: Wikimedia Commons / Dudek1337
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Dudek1337

Tahith Chong joins Werder Bremen on season-long loan

Manchester United winger Tahith Chong has joined Bundesliga outfit Werder Bremen on a season-long loan. The 20-year-old Dutchman signed a two-year contract extension in March, tying his future to the Red Devils until at least June 2022.

The Netherlands Under-21 international signed for United in 2016. Since departing Feyenoord, Chong has made 20 senior appearances under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, featuring for United in the Premier League, Europa League, FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

He still has development potential in defensive work

– Florian Kohfeldt

Werder manger Florian Kohfeldt said: “He [Chong] is a technically good player who can play on both outside positions. He also has a high tempo that will be good for our game. He still has development potential in defensive work. He is still at the beginning of his career and we want to help him further unlock his potential”.

In a statement on the club’s website, Chong told Werder fans that he was excited to join the club, before adding: “The change is a very good opportunity for me to develop. I’m looking forward to the new season”.

“We are very pleased that Tahith has chosen us. He is a very talented, developing player who has gained his first experience at Manchester United at the highest level. He now has to get used to the Bundesliga and take the next development step with us,” explained Werder sporting director Frank Baumann.

Milot Rashica has been linked with a move away from Bremen this summer

Werder finished sixteenth in the Bundesliga last season, but avoided the drop after beating Heidenheim on away-goals in the relegation playoff. Chong will join United States international Josh Sargent and Czech goalkeeper Jiri Pavlenka at the Weserstadion, as Werder target a top-half finish in 2020/21.

Kosovo international Milot Rashica has been linked with a move away from Bremen this summer, with Aston Villa and RB Leipzig among his possible suitors. Rashica scored eight goals in 28 appearances for Werder in 2019/20, and was widely credited for playing a key role in keeping Kohfeldt’s side in the Bundesliga last season.