Image: Wikimedia Commons / Кирилл Венедиктов

Harry Maguire withdrawn from England squad, Kalvin Phillips handed debut call-up

England manager Gareth Southgate has handed debut international call-ups to Phil Foden, Kalvin Phillips and Mason Greenwood. The Three Lions face Iceland and Denmark in the Nations League at the start of next month.

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire was withdrawn from Southgate’s squad after being handed a suspended prison sentence on the Greek island of Syros. Maguire, 27, was named in the squad while his trial was ongoing, but was withdrawn after a court found him guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and repeated attempts of bribery.

Southgate said that withdrawing Maguire was “in the best interests of all parties”. The United defender was given a 21-month suspended jail sentence after an altercation on Mykonos. Following the verdict, Maguire said: “I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter – if anything myself, family and friends are the victims”.

Kalvin Philips have been included in the England squad for the first time

England face Iceland in Reykjavik on 5 September, before squaring-off against Denmark in Copenhagen 72 hours later. The Three Lions’ trip to Iceland will be their first match since beating Kosovo 4-0 last November.

Manchester City playmaker Foden, United forward Greenwood and Leeds United defensive midfielder Philips have been included in the England squad for the first time. Southampton striker Danny Ings, and United goalkeeper Dean Henderson have also been called-up by Southgate.

Henderson, who spent the 2019/20 season on loan at Sheffield United, is yet to make an appearance for England but has been tipped to rival Jordan Pickford and Nick Pope for the number one jersey ahead of the EUROs.

Captain Harry Kane has been included in the squad, despite the Tottenham talisman currently being in quarantine after returning from the Bahamas.

Chilwell and Maddison miss out through injury

Jack Grealish has not been included in Southgate’s squad, while Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ben Chilwell and James Maddison miss out through injury.

When asked about the inclusion of young players in his latest squad, Southgate said: “You are always questioning with those young players when is the right time to move them up, we felt now is a good time.

“We are a year away from a European Championship and let’s see if they can start to break into that team, that squad.

“It gives us great competition for places, they are realistic challenges.”

England squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Eric Dier, Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Tyrone Mings, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Phil Foden, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse, Harry Winks

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Mason Greenwood, Danny Ings, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling