Image: Wikimedia Commons / Amakuru
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Amakuru

Joe Bryan double secures play-off euphoria for Fulham

Fulham secured promotion, and a quick return to the Premier League, following their 2-1 win over Brentford in the Championship Play-Off Final. Scott Parker’s side had to wait until extra-time when two goals from left-back Joe Byran gave Fulham victory at an empty Wembley Stadium.

A largely cagey affair went the distance, as the two West London sides were inseparable afterafter ninety minutes. In a game of few chances, Fulham eventually broke the deadlock in the first half of extra time. A forty-yard freekick from Joe Bryan, helped by the awful positioning of Brentford keeper David Raya, saw Fulham take the lead. As Brentford pushed for an equaliser, Byran again found himself on the scoresheet. This time from close range to score his and Fulham’s second of the night. A goal that put the game beyond the Bees’ reach and saw Dalsgaard’s late goal become a mere consolation on a Wembley night that belonged to Fulham.

From the off, the Cottagers’ play-off experience was clear. Brentford (aiming to bring a wretched run of eight football league play-offs campaigns without a win) looked nervous throughout, as head coach Thomas Frank saw lose his side waste possession frequently. Centre-back Pontus Jansson, bought for £5million deal from Leeds last summer, was at the heart of a solid defensive shape that saw Brentford largely silence and frustrate Fulham’s attacking threat.

De Cordova-Reid went close from eight yards, firing a half-volleyed effort over

Fulham arguably had the best chances of the game. Josh Onomah’s long-range strike was parried before his right-footed effort from inside the box stung the palms of Raya. Parker’s side continued brightly in the second half. Fulham unlucky to see the game go into extra-time as dead-ball specialist Neeskens Kebano whipped a free-kick into the side-netting, before De Cordova-Reid went close from eight yards, firing a half-volleyed effort over the Brentford bar.

Fulham continued to waste chances as the game moved into extra-time. The Cottager’s unable to break the deadlock until finally, they found an opening. Joe Bryan struck the ball into the bottom corner from about forty yards, leaving the Brentford keeper speechless.

Brentford won’t be the only West London club with challenges

The second-half of extra-time saw Fulham repeatedly frustrate their West London counterparts. As Brentford pushed for an equaliser, Parker again impressed tactically as Fulham adopted a flat ack five to protect their lead, and catch Brentford on the break. Joe Bryan’s second goal of the game, a neat finish from six yards, ensured Fulham’s promotion.

Speaking after the game, Fulham match-winner Joe Byran praised his teammates stating “he wasn’t a hero” and that they have proved their many of their doubters wrong in “bouncing straight back up” to the top-flight. A perfect night for Fulham ended in misery for the Bees. Brentford’s best campaign since suffering relegation from the top flight in 1946-47, ends on a sour note, that could certainly get worse as they face a challenge to keep hold of their star players.

In particular, Said Benrahma might find that the best way to play Premier League football next season is at Stamford Bridge. Yet, Brentford won’t be the only West London club with challenges. Victory in the play-off final, for the second time in three years, gives Fulham another chance to prove that they belong in the Premier League.