Image: Wikimedia Commons / Pedro Semitiel

Three hot prospects to watch once the Bundesliga returns

The German Chancellor Angela Merkel authorised the return of German football earlier this week, paving the way for the Bundesliga to become the first major competition to re-emerge from its COVID-19 hiatus. With nine rounds of the Bundesliga season remaining, there is plenty to play for at both ends of the table – three teams still have a credible chance of knocking Bayern Munich off top spot, while the fight to stave-off relegation is equally fierce.

The Bundesliga’s stars – Lewandowski, Haaland, Werner, et al. – are known around the globe, although there are plenty of young players that have much to prove down the stretch.

Giovanni Reyna, 17, made his Borussia Dortmund debut in a 5-3 win over Augsburg in January, making a further seven appearances since. While the American starlet has mainly featured in cameo appearances from the bench, the former-NYCFC attacking midfielder has every chance of making an impact in the final nine rounds of the season.

Dortmund face Mainz, Hertha Berlin and Fortuna Dusseldorf before the end of the season – three clubs nestled in the lower-reaches of the standings; it is widely expected that BVB manager Lucien Favre will attempt to give Reyna more first team minutes. An American youth international, Reyna is graceful in possession, a willing runner and a physical presence off the ball; it stands to reason that he will make the Dortmund starting line-up before the 2019/20 season is finished.

Schalke re-emerge from the hiatus in sixth position, with some mouth-watering contests to come

Although Schalke are out of the race for Champions League qualification, the Gelsenkirchen club remain in pole position for the final Europa League berth. Schalke re-emerge from the hiatus in sixth position, with some mouth-watering contests to come before the end of the season.

Schalke, now managed by former Huddersfield Town manager, David Wagner, are yet to face Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Dortmund and VfL Wolfsburg, teams that will provide intriguing match-ups for Jean-Clair Todibo, a young Barcelona centre-back on loan at the club.

Tobido, 20, arrived in the Bundesliga to great fanfare in January, but the jury is still out for the French youngster. A talented player in possession – owing to his education while part of Toulouse’s legendary youth academy – Tobido has the world at his feet, but is yet to truly prove his defensive credentials in the German top-flight. Schalke reportedly have an option to purchase Tobido at the end of his loan for €25m, although the financial ramifications of the coronavirus shutdown are widely expected to prevent the deal from coming to fruition.

Dodi is a dynamic attacking player, who doesn’t only score goals

– Michael Preetz

Hertha Berlin restart the season six points above the relegation playoff place, ten points clear of the automatic drop zone. Hertha should have enough to stay in the Bundesliga once again, although their chances of ending the season on a high largely rest on the shoulders of Dodi Lukebakio, 22, a summer signing from Premier League club Watford.

The Congolese winger has scored four goals in 16 appearances for Hertha since his summer arrival, building on an impressive loan spell with Fortuna Dusseldorf in 2019. Lukebakio, 6’2″ in stature, is a rangy, unpredictable forward that has many similarities with former West Ham and Manchester City winger Paulo Wanchope.

Jadon Sancho and Alphonso Davies will be expected to deliver

At the start of the season, Hertha GM, Michael Preetz, said: “Dodi is a dynamic attacking player, who doesn’t only score goals. He also has eyes for his teammates.” If Hertha are to rise up the standings, Lukebakio will need to step up during the final nine rounds of the season.

Of course, the likes of Kai Havertz, Dayot Upamecano and Amine Harit will be expected to dazzle upon the Bundesliga’s resumption – they have already emerged as key players at the respective clubs. Likewise, Jadon Sancho, Dortmund’s young English international, and Alphonso Davies, Bayern’s Canadian starlet, will be expected to deliver.

The Bundesliga will be a thrilling proposition upon its return, with players up and down the league with so much to prove going into the final weeks of the season. Bayern are favourites to retain the title, but the Bundesliga could yet be jostled away from Munich. German football is brimming to the seams with young talent; the next star could plausibly emerge in the weeks ahead.