Image: Wikimedia Commons / daniel0685
Image: Wikimedia Commons / daniel0685

2. Bundesliga Report: Hamburger SV 0-0 Arminia Bielefeld

In a vital game in the 2. Bundesliga title race, it was Arminia Bielefeld manager, Uwe Neuhaus, who walked away the happier of the two coaches, after his side secured a 0-0 draw on the road against Hamburg to remain six seven points clear at the top of the division.

In what was a must-win match for Hamburg, who started the afternoon in second place, Dieter Hecking’s side failed to inspire for much of the match. Bielefeld, content to restrict space in their 4-1-4-1 formation, marshalled the match expertly, securing the result they needed to keep in their rivals at bay in the title race. Bielefeld were rank outsiders to gain promotion at the start of the season; it didn’t show, they put on a defensive masterclass this afternoon.

Finnish forward, Joel Pohjanaplo should have given the hosts an early lead after dispossessing Fabian Kunze on the edge of the Arminia Bielefeld penalty area. Caught in possession deep inside his own half, Kunze’s moment of hesitation allowed Pohjanaplo to break through the visitors’ defence, unleashing a low shot on Stefan Ortega’s goal. Had it not been for Ortega’s outstretched right foot, the hosts would have led after just five minutes of play.

Had Kittel’s effort been on target, Ortega would have been powerless to resist

The league-leaders started to grow into the match as the half progressed, although neither side was able to break the deadlock before the interval. Upon the restart, Kittel was once again a source of concern for the visitors: a driven volley faded just inches wide of Ortega’s net. Had Kittel’s effort been on target, Ortega would have been powerless to resist.

21-year-old Netherlands centre back, Rick Van Drongelen was impressive for Hamburg at the heart of their defence, spraying passes with his left foot into Aaron Hunt on numerous occasions throughout the match. Van Drongelen, who has attracted attention from clubs in the Netherlands and France in recent weeks, was a steady performer for Hamburg – who will be desperate to keep onto the Dutchman if they are promoted to the Bundesliga this summer.

Twenty minutes after the restart, Hamburg went within inches of breaking the deadlock after Martin Harnik sent a looping cross towards the far post for substitute, Lukas Hinterseer. Hinterseer, who had only been on the field for six minutes before his chance arose, fired a powerful header against the base of the woodwork. Ortega was motionless, Hinterseer had to score.

Bielefeld enjoyed a period of dangerous possession after 75 minutes

In keeping Hunt and Harnik quiet for much of the match, Bielefeld executed their game-plan to perfection. It was a professional performance from the travelling side, who secured the goalless draw they had clearly planned for since the 2. Bundesliga’s resumption last weekend.

As Hamburg legs began to tire, Bielefeld enjoyed a period of dangerous possession after 75 minutes. Second half substitute, Andreas Voglsammer stung the hands of Hamburg ‘keeper, Daniel Fernandes, from the edge of penalty area. It was in the latter stages of the second half that Bielefeld truly started to show their hand: the introduction of Voglsammer unsettled the Hamburg defence in a period of the match where it felt as though Neuhaus’ team would retreat further into their own half.

Instead, the travelling side grew in confidence, having their best offensive spell of the game while remaining resolute in defence. Ortega was called into action once again after 80 minutes, but collected a driven cross from Josha Vagnoman without incident. It was a disappointed afternoon for Vagnoman – he produced little for the hosts from full-back in a match where his contributions could have been vital.

It was the perfect afternoon for the travelling side, who remain seven points clear at the top of the 2. Bundesliga standings. Stuttgart’s 3-2 defeat against Holstein Kiel adds extra importance to their midweek clash against Hamburg, with the teams separated by a single point in the fight to gain automatic promotion to the Bundesliga. Bielefeld, meanwhile, are on the cusp of a famous promotion to the top flight.