Image: Wikimedia Commons / Scott U
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Scott U

Meet Sabrina Ionescu, basketball’s next global superstar

When the virtual 2020 WNBA Draft took place in mid-April, there was little surprise as to who the New York Liberty would pick first. Ever since the point-guard Sabrina Ionescu returned to Oregon University for her senior year, many had her pencilled in as the top pick.

And as expected, WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert read her name out, declaring the guard was headed to Brooklyn, a long way from her home in California. But Ionescu isn’t your ordinary number one draft pick – in any sport.

It’s not often that a player records 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists in their college career. In fact, no male or female college basketball player has ever achieved this. Except Ionescu. Oh, and she also happens to be the all-time leader in triple doubles, way ahead of any other college basketball player. In fact, Kyle Collingworth, who leads all male players, has fewer than half of her total.

Why is it that she’s being proclaimed the next sporting superstar for the future?

Very few college players can call upon the late Kobe Bryant as a mentor. Not at that stage, at least. Yet the bond between Ionescu and Bryant was so strong, that she spoke at the memorial held for the basketball legend back in February. So, what makes the 22-year-old so great? Why is it that she’s being proclaimed the next sporting superstar for the future?

At 5’11”, Ionescu isn’t by any means the biggest player on the court. You’d hardly view her as the most athletic, or the quickest either. Yet her on-court intelligence is off the scale. She’s a player who notices every little detail in a game. When her centre has a favourable mismatch in the post, she’ll quickly pass them the ball. If another teammate makes a cut towards the basket, Ionescu will time the bounce pass beautifully to give her the ideal shot.

The point guard’s assist rate in college is higher than any other WNBA player that’s been drafted since 2009. It’s an extraordinary feat to have achieved.

The Oregon star had averaged 17.5 points, 8.6 rebounds and 9.1 assists in her final season

She’s also prolific from the three-point line, making 42% from deep for her career, which is a very efficient figure to have. And by the date of the draft, the Oregon star had averaged 17.5 points, 8.6 rebounds and 9.1 assists in her final season – an astonishing statistic line for any player to average.

Yet what makes Ionescu truly great, is her mentality, as well as her determination to be the best player she can be.

Every time the 22-year-old steps onto the court, she expects to make every shot that she takes. If she misses even one, she’ll take another from the exact same spot, until it sails through the hoop. And during a game, the Oregon star will apologise to her teammates if she misses a shot. It’s not an exaggeration to say she expects herself to make everything she takes.

The American is willing to do whatever it takes to be the best

Indeed, her attitude in aiming for perfection make it hard for coaches to substitute her out of a game. No matter how tired or injured she may be, the American is willing to do whatever it takes to be the best, constantly throwing herself at every rebound within her reach.

The point-guard is very much a vocal leader as well, and Ionescu’s singular desire to win means that she’s not afraid to yell at her teammates – if she feels they need extra motivation to play well. But it should be said that she’ll also be the first to congratulate them on a great play, and to encourage those low on confidence too.

Additionally, it’s not just on the court where her leadership shines. Away from the game, the 22-year-old will text her Oregon teammates encouraging messages, joke around with them, and will go out of her way to arrange a time for extra practice if asked.

Ionescu still plays like she’s got something to prove

All this has created a mentality amongst the team in not wanting to lose and let Ionescu down. While that may sound like a sporting cliché, it absolutely applies in describing the impact of Ionescu’s presence on the teams she’s played for.

Still, it may surprise you to hear that Ionescu still plays like she’s got something to prove. Maybe it stems from the negativity surrounding women’s basketball, compared to the men’s game. After all, her achievements aren’t remembered by fans as fondly as the dunk highlights from the male prodigy Zion Williamson.

And as she transitions to the professional game, you can only imagine that she’ll expect only the best from herself. Even in her first year in the WNBA, many have already predicted greatness from the 22-year-old.

All eyes will be on her to produce from the get-go

Post-draft, she admitted that the upcoming season could be challenging for her, but reaffirmed her competitiveness, saying: “I’ve had a target on my back for the last four years, so it’s not going to be anything new. I do know that it’s going to be difficult, but I’m excited for the challenge to go against some of the best players in the world.”

Undoubtedly, it won’t be easy for the 2020 Naismith Player of the Year. All eyes will be on her to produce from the get-go, and the quality of opposition will be a step up from college.

But no one has prepared for the professional stage more than the Oregon star. Every moment on the court has been to improve her game, to potentially levels of domination that we’ve never seen in the sport before, from a singular player.

So, if anyone’s ready to be the next basketball superstar, it’s Sabrina Ionescu.