exams
Image: Euclidthalis / Wikimedia Commons

Warwick Business School cancels Term 2 exams over “concerns about security”

Warwick Business School (WBS) has cancelled it’s end of term exams “on the grounds of concerns about security”.

Students were informed by a Moodle announcement after the creation of a Facebook event titled “Reality check Covid-19: Postponing impending examinations”, calling for the University to postpone the exams at the end of Term 2.

Over 400 students were planning to sit two exams on 13 March; Fundamentals of Financial Management for first-year students and Corporate Finance for second-years.

After the announcement of the cancellation, one of the student organisers said: “We salute the WBS for taking this iniative and protecting its student community from potentially grave danger.”

A spokesperson for the University commented to The Boar: “As you know only a couple of days of term remain but all remaining WBS tests for this term this term have now been cancelled.”

On the Facebook event page, the students stated that it was “highly irresponsible” for students to sit an exam “in a confined environment, with low ceiling space and little to no air flow”.

One of the student organisers told The Boar: “We feel as though the University is not being proactive enough by simply following the current UK government policy.

“The current exam setting is not an environment that would be favourable for containment of possible cases.

“We aren’t boycotting the exams nor do we want to. We have all worked towards these exams and would sit them in normal times, no questions asked. We just want people to know and acknowledge that these aren’t normal times.”

The students also encouraged others to sign a national petition calling for universities to be temporarily closed due to COVID-19.