A laptop with a Spotify playlist on the screen.

The ultimate self-isolation playlist

With key advice during these times being to self-isolate and delay the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic, naturally, one’s music will serve as a vital ally. Music unites us, and it can keep us company in the darkest of times; some of it has even been written in similar moments of gloom. With this in mind, it’s also important to keep your head above water and have a bit of a laugh – knowing what music you’ll be listening to in the chance of quarantine is never a bad way to prepare.

• ‘Toilet Paper’s Gone’ – Day by Day

And the winner for painfully accurate satirical anthem of our times goes to…

• ‘Dancing on My Own’ – Robyn

No matter our personal circumstances, there’s nothing stopping us from dancing in loneliness, and nowadays its practically encouraged by medical experts.  

• ‘The Sound of Silence’ – Simon and Garfunkel 

Silence may not be the greatest conversationalist, but they will listen to you ramble through whatever you think is wrong with society, a topic which comes up when you’re alone, isolated, because of society.

• ‘HOLD ME TIGHT OR DON’T’ – Fall Out Boy 

If you have a significant other then working out whether close physical contact will remain a part of your relationship for the foreseeable future will be a key decision. It’s possible this song will help. 

• ‘Dirty Paws’ – Of Monsters and Men 

Despite the title, this song has nothing to do with refusing to wash one’s hands. It’s still just a good tune to listen to.

• ‘Stay Away’ – Nirvana 

Why have the awkwardness of saying it when you can have Kurt Cobain scream it for you instead?

• ‘Paranoid’ – Black Sabbath

If ever there was a time for this song to be a permanent mood, it’s now.

• ‘Down with the Sickness’ – Disturbed

If you want to go into denial I recommend listening to the Happy Days theme on repeat; if you wish to start acclimatizing to reality, then this might work for you.

• ‘Only Happy When It Rains’ – Garbage 

Isolation is like a rainy day, regardless of the weather; learning to be happy through it and appreciating it’s unorthodox merits is key. It’s also just a fun song.

• ‘New Rules’ – Dua Lipa

We’re all having to adopt them into our lives so maybe there is a silver lining. Disease control could be the thing to help you change your bad relationship habits! 

• ‘Owner of a Lonely Heart’ – Yes

Being the owner of a lonely heart is indeed medically sound compared to being the owner of a broken heart, which may require a visit to an already strained GP.

• ‘Break’ – Kero Kero Bonito 

Worried about all the things you can’t do now you’re in isolation? Remember it’s important to take a break and stay positive about doing nothing, even if it’s longer than expected. 

• ‘Cheaper to Drink Alone’ – Black Stone Cherry

Given the fact pubs and bars are being deserted, you may find some reassurance in this song and the basic message that you’re certainly going to be saving yourself some cash by not going out.

• ‘It’s the End of the World as We Know it’ – REM

This is still the most up-tempo song about the end of the world. It’s been appropriate to play on a loop since 2016 and works its immortal magic just as well now.

• ‘When the Wild Wind Blows‘ – Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden’s 11-minute opus is simply a masterpiece about isolation and misinformation combining for one tragic outcome. It’s an epic, utterly beautiful song which likely will resonate with many people as the band takes you through stories of panic, misleading media narratives and the dire consequences of stockpiling.

Jokes aside; stay safe, make sure to connect in whatever way you can, and of course, take advantage of this spectacularly relevant playlist.