shooting
Image: Geograph / Philip Halling

Two teenagers charged with murder after Coventry drive-by shooting

Two teenagers have been charged with murder after a 19-year-old man was killed in a drive-by shooting in Coventry.

Abdul Wahid Xasan of Foleshill was walking in a street in the Hillfields area of the city when he was shot twice in the back at 2:30pm on Friday 13 March. He died in hospital the same day from his wounds.

A car was later found burnt out in the city and police believe it to be the same one used in the shooting.

Two males, aged 15 and 19, were arrested on suspicion of murder. Both were arrested after police raids at their home addresses. The two were questioned over the shooting and have been charged with murder.

The 19-year-old, from Longford, Coventry, and the 15-year-old, from Stoke, Coventry, both appeared at Birmingham Magistrates Court on Tuesday 17 March 2020.

It is abhorrent that these people think nothing of using a firearm in broad daylight on a residential street with a children’s nursery close by

– Chief Inspector, Scott Griffiths

Detective Chief Inspector Scott Griffiths of West Midlands Police’s homicide unit, said: “We have made swift progress in our investigation leading to the arrests, but we continue to ask the public for information.

“It is vital that anyone who saw what happened yesterday afternoon [Friday 13 March], and has not already spoken to us, does so. We are also asking for anyone who saw those responsible for setting fire to the car to come forward.

“My team are determined to bring to justice anyone involved in yesterday’s violence. It is abhorrent that these people think nothing of using a firearm in broad daylight on a residential street with a children’s nursery close by.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the West Midlands Police homicide team by calling 101 or through the force’s website. Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.