coronavirus cases
Image: The Boar

BREAKING: “Majority” of SU-affiliated tours cancelled amid Covid-19 outbreak

The “majority” of societies and sports clubs affiliated to Warwick Students’ Union (SU) have cancelled their tours abroad amid the Covid-19 outbreak. 

The list of societies and clubs still going on tour “is shrinking by the hour”, the SU told The Boar.

In a statement released on 13 March, the SU outlined that it “strongly advises” that all societies and sports clubs do not proceed with any trips abroad over “the next few weeks” due to the virus pandemic.

“For the sake of clarity”, the SU outlined”, “ultimate responsibility for these decisions lies with the relevant club and society execs.”

“We appreciate that for many of you these trips are a highlight of the year, and you will be reluctant to cancel such exciting events.

“However, given the spread of Coronavirus, and the associated risks to public health, any unnecessary foreign travel is now considered very unwise.”

The union also urged students “to read the government advice about travelling abroad”, linking the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s website.

The SU added: “When looking into cancellation of your trips, please check your travel insurance for information on refunds and issues around repatriation. Your travel insurance is what provides you with protection in the event of cancellation.

“The Students’ Union is NOT liable for covering any associated costs, including refunds, or additional expenses if you have to stay abroad longer than planned.”

If students have any questions regarding the advise about trips, they should email the union’s Student Activities Supervisor, the SU stated.

The SU’s advice comes after the University of Warwick announced it would be developing online teaching and other resources in response to the Coronavirus outbreak.

There will also be “restrictions on overseas travel, including options for students on Study Abroad or mobility programmes”.

Updates will follow.