Image: The Boar / Tennis Centre
Image: The Boar / Tennis Centre

Warwick Tennis serve up a Varsity win

Warwick University Tennis club carried out an excellent performance to down Coventry at Varsity. Warwick were comfortable throughout the competition winning eleven out of twelve matches.

A big win at Varsity always spurs the team on to keep pushing through to the end of the season!

– Warwick Tennis Captain

In the men’s, Dániel Szabadhegy started proceedings with a dominant 6-2, 6-0 victory. Dániel, who is graduating at the end of the academic year, bowed out of Varsity in style with some well-constructed points. There were further victories for Andy McBride and Andy Berry who made no room for error against plucky opponents. Lewis Hunnisett produced a gutsy display but was eventually defeated 2-6, 5-7 in a high-quality match. In the doubles, Dániel and Andy McBride played some impressive shots including a tweener lob by Dániel in the third game of the second set on their way to a routine win. Similarly, Lewis and Andy Berry eased past their opposition. 

Recovery is the key after matches but I’m sure we will get some celebrating done!

– Warwick Tennis Captain

The women’s team also experienced a successful day with team captain Rachael Moon describing it as an “honour to be out there on the court playing for the team that has been such a big part of my life for the last 3 years!” She produced the first result of the day with a routine 6-3, 6-1 win. There were commanding performances from Réka Szalai who won 6-0, 6-2 and Clara Vaziri who strolled past her opponent 6-1, 6-0. Julia Jędrzejczak convincingly won 7-5, 6-3 in one of her first matches after injury. Rachael and Saskia Kaltenbrunner made some excellent volleys before going on to win 7-6 (7-3), 6-1. Réka and Clara hit some fantastic groundstrokes on their way to a 6-1, 6-0 victory in front of the jubilant home support. Rachael thanked the supporters saying that “a big and rowdy crowd is always an advantage” and that the team were able to “bounce off” them when they needed inspiration.