Image: Luke James / The Boar

Team Warwick secure innaugral Varsity win in mixed lacrosse

In the inaugural Varsity meeting between the sides, Team Warwick romped to a convincing 14-3 victory against Coventry University at ‘the place’ in the mixed lacrosse. The hosts – who have elected not to compete in men’s and women’s BUCS fixtures this year – were overwhelmed by a commanding Warwick performance amid blustery conditions on Westwood Heath Road.

The travelling side took the lead after just three minutes, as the ball crept over the line on the water-based pitch. The game’s opening goal came as a surprise even to the Team Warwick substitutes, who erupted into retrospective celebration only after the players returned to their positions for the draw.

Two minutes later, Warwick doubled their lead through Piper, setting-up the foundations for what would go onto be the most dominant victory of the weekend for those clad in red. Warwick captain, Jess Roberts – was instrumental to her side’s sustained offensive adventures into the Coventry half, winning the vast majority of draws for the travelling side.

The second quarter started as the first ended: with sustained periods of pressure

Roberts – who scored Warwick’s fourth before the break – lead the team during the first intermission of the match, as the team left the field with a spring in their step. The second quarter started as the first ended: with sustained periods of pressure from the Warwick attack lead by, right forward, Agyei.

Within eight minutes of the restart, Team Warwick led by an emphatic eight-goal margin, and the squad looked reticent to offer-up any half-chances to their hosts. The Coventry goalkeeper – who shone brightly at moments for the home side – made a spectacular foot save to keep the deficit below double digits in the second quarter, but it was clear a comeback was not on the cards.

Perhaps the only blemish on Warwick’s record was the rate at which players frequented the sinbin, although Coventry struggled to gain a foothold in the match even with a numerical advantage. Forty-one minutes into play Coventry’s efforts were finally rewarded, as a jinking run for the diminutive #11 beat the Warwick defence and allowed her the perfect opportunity to fire Coventry onto the scoresheet. She duly obliged.

Team Warwick strolled to a resounding 14-3 victory on the final day of Varsity 2020

The hosts’ fightback, however, was thwarted almost immediately. Roberts – dominant off the draw – set-up a Warwick attack immediately after the restart, and the Coventry defence was powerless to resist a well-worked goal that was fired home from close range.

Coventry University continued to fight ardently until the close of the final quarter, but it wasn’t to be for the hosts. Team Warwick – resplendent in possession and pragmatic in defence – strolled to a resounding 14-3 victory on the day it was confirmed Varsity had been secured for the 30th year in succession.