Image: The University of Warwick Women's Netball Club

Warwick Women’s Netball Varsity Opener dominates Coventry

Friday night was time for the Varsity opener, the all important Warwick versus Coventry Netball match. Tensions were already running high from Coventry already taking the lead within Varsity. But that was not going to worry Warwick’s amazing BUCs players.

After a great performance from the Warwick Devils, the crowd was ready for an intense match and they definitely got one. The first quarter saw Warwick storm ahead as they managed to score 17 goals and leaving Coventry 10 points behind. Warwick’s attack did an amazing job at keeping Coventry at bay by managing to score nearly every shot, no rebounds necessary.

In the third quarter Coventry managed to score only three less goals than Warwick

The second quarter was no different with Warwick dominating over their rivals, and by halftime the score was an outstanding 34-14. Although some players had to come off from injuries, Warwick continued to play outstandingly well and proved the skills of each player on the team. The game was starting to look a little too easy, but in the third quarter Coventry managed to score only three less goals than Warwick. Coventry was doing well but just not quite well enough.

In the last 3 minutes of the game, the Coventry Centre was forced to come off

Within the final quarter the game was coming to a close and Warwick’s defence did an amazing job of ensuring that Coventry could not recover, only letting in two goals in five minutes. In the last 3 minutes of the game, the Coventry Centre was forced to come off due to poor behaviour and the final score ended up being 59-36 to Warwick. A great result from a great game.