Post holiday blues

How to deal with post-holiday blues

Let’s be honest, returning home after a holiday is a major struggle. I am the first to admit that I have suffered in the past from post-holiday blues when facing the reality of life back home. That refreshed, relaxed feeling of vacation can quickly disappear as the emails start to pile up and the gym starts calling again. More often than not, this can lead to many of us feeling unmotivated and sluggish. So, how do you maintain that sunny outlook that you had whilst you were away? Here are some of my tips for keeping the good vibes flowing after your holiday finishes.

For me, it isn’t just the actual holiday that I enjoy, but also the moments leading up to it. Planning and booking a trip brings me the same amount of happiness and excitement as the holiday itself. So, when returning from a holiday, why not start planning your next one? Even if money is short, ‘window shopping’ for the next possible destination can combat these negative feelings.

The lack of worries and cares on holiday can cause us stress when we are faced with what seems like a million jobs to do

I often find myself scrolling through Booking.com or Expedia considering my when and where I want to go next, what cultures I want to explore and what hotel deals are on offer. Even if going abroad isn’t an option, the feeling of having something to look forward to helps considerably. Filling your diary, for me, gets rid of these deflated feelings, as I know I am not going to be wasting my forthcoming weekends and free time doing very little.

I have often found myself feeling overwhelmed at the thought of routine and structure compared to the freedom that a holiday brings. The liberty of lying by the pool with nowhere to be is a feeling like no other, so when I hear the shrill of my 7am alarm clock back home, it is not pleasurable. I find that making checklists helps me to get back into daily life.

A good night’s sleep after a long journey home is the best way to transition back into your normal life

The lack of worries and cares on holiday can cause us stress when we are faced with what seems like a million jobs to do. Even if it is just for the week after you return, jotting down everything you need to get done can help us to feel motivated to complete these errands and jobs. Ticking these tasks off as I go, I find provides me with a sense of accomplishment, and stops me feeling unproductive. This way, I know I can approach my week with a clear head, without worrying about missing or forgetting anything.

My absolute pet hate when returning home is living out of a suitcase. I don’t know about anyone else, but having to dig through my case to find something I need results in my bedroom looking like a bomb has gone off. We get home to find an empty wardrobe and a mountain of washing awaiting, and the thought of household chores is never on my agenda. A great tip to save time and effort when you are facing laundry after your trip is to separate your clean and dirty clothes while you are there. My absolute must, however, is making sure I have fresh bedding when I get home. Slipping into crisp sheets after a long shower is the ultimate way to combat any irritability. A good night’s sleep after a long journey home is the best way to transition back into your normal life.

Facing reality after a holiday can be very difficult and there is nothing wrong with admitting you are experiencing pessimistic or anxious feelings after your blissful break

Once you’re settled back into a routine, my final tip is to reserve some time to look back through the photographs and videos you have from your time away. These meaningful moments deserve to be shared, so making a scrapbook, purchasing a photo album or posting snaps on social media can evoke a sense of nostalgia and can enhance your mood. Stick on some music, grab yourself some snacks and get your arts and crafts on!

Facing reality after a holiday can be very difficult and there is nothing wrong with admitting you are experiencing pessimistic or anxious feelings after your blissful break. You’re not alone in these thoughts, and post-holiday blues can be generally challenging to prevent. Hopefully however, these tips will help make your transition back to normal life much smoother.