Image: The Boar
Image: The Boar

Varsity weekend kicks off with an Equestrian win for Warwick

This year’s Varsity 30th Anniversary weekend kicked off with eight riders from each rival team taking on the last of Storm Dennis as well as the early morning. The competition was held at Holly Riding School on Coventry’s home turf, with the Warwick Riders and supporters all set for another victorious year.

One of Coventry’s riders was eliminated in the dressage round

The pressure was on for both teams as Warwick team captain Claire Davies recruited two keen riders embarking on their first official competition, and they most definitely did not disappoint. Sadly, one of Coventry’s riders was eliminated in the dressage round placing Warwick even further in the lead by lunchtime.

The riders then mounted the real heroes of the day for the second time and navigated around the show jumping course with ease. After a tense regulation contention, the rosettes were ready and the results were in!

A massive congratulations to the team with particular commendation to Grace, Kat, and Claire

Warwick finished comfortably on top of the leaderboard with a final penalty score of 168.5 to Coventry and 132 to Warwick, securing the first varsity point of the year. A massive congratulations to the team with particular commendation to Grace, Kat, and Claire for respectively taking home 4th, 5th and 7th place in the individual scoring, as well as Vice-President, Bea Adell Quesada, who topped the leaderboards finishing both the dressage and show-jumping rounds with zero penalties.