unconditional offers
Image: Wiki Commons/Graham Norrie

University of Birmingham making “backdoor” unconditional offers

The University of Birmingham has been accused by regulators and education groups of making “backdoor” unconditional offers in the form of new “attainment offers.”

New offers require students to get CCC grades in their A-levels. This is instead of previously used unconditional offers.

Unconditional offers have no grade requirements, usually as long as students put Birmingham as their firm choice. 

After receiving intense criticism by the regulator, universities have had to limit the number of unconditional offers they give out. These types of offers have been challenged for placing a heavy burden on students to approve the institution as their firm choice to receive the unconditional offer.

The regulator has defined unconditional offers as “pressure selling.” 

Students are also told at open days that they may receive an “attainment offer” which can then prevent them from considering other choices. 

Nicola Dandridge of the Office for Students said it is vital that “pressure is not put on students” so that students are able to make objective decisions about which university is best for them.

Universities are getting a bit more creative in what they are doing

– Kevin Gilmartin

The rise in unconditional offers has been challenged by education ministers who believe universities are acting “completely irresponsible” and are “undermining the credibility” of higher education in the UK.

This crackdown on unconditional offers has led universities like Birmingham to find other routes to getting more students through the doors. 

A fall in the number of 18-year-olds eligible to apply to university this year has meant that all institutions are competing to fill places. Birmingham’s “attainment offer” is a new way of attracting students after they have been told to be more careful with unconditional offers. 

Headteachers have complained about the effects on student motivation of unconditional and “attainment offers.” They fear that students no longer have to aim high because they know their place at university is safe. 

This has been reflected in student results who have unconditional offers, these students are 11.5% more likely to miss their predicted grades by three grades or more.

One student disclosed “it did not make Birmingham look good to me” as “maybe they are a bit desperate.”

Kevin Gilmartin from the Association of School and College Leaders, said that these so-called “conditional conditional” offers are on the rise with plenty of universities adopting similar practises.

“This is the latest phenomenon,” he said. “Universities are getting a bit more creative in what they are doing.”

Universities tell students at open days that if they select it as their first choice, they are happy to “let them in with much lower grades”, Mr Gilmartin explained.

Birmingham responded by contending that the “attainment offer” is only given to students who have strong applications and a successful academic record.

Most concerning to teachers, parents and those in the education sector is that this new form of offer given to students is having negative effects on student achievement. These forms of offer are also considered to manipulate students into making choices that may not be the best for them in the long-term.