Gift/ Image: Unsplash

Thinking outside the box: gift ideas for a more meaningful Christmas

Giving the perfect gift to our loved ones is something each and every one of us desires to do. You want to find that one special present that will let them know how much you love and appreciate them. However, more often than not, shopping can cause such a headache that we resort back to the same old Christmas presents. Think shower gels, chocolates and novelty socks.

It is true that nobody can have too many pairs of socks, but does a pair of socks really tell someone how much you appreciate them? This Christmas, let’s say goodbye to the selection boxes and shower gel gift sets and finally give our nearest and dearest the gifts they truly deserve.

A new bank of lovely memories truly is the most invaluable gift you could ever give someone

A great and far more original alternative to buying a Christmas present is gifting someone an experience instead. From bungee jumps for the adrenaline junkies in your family, to spa days for those in desperate need of some tender loving care, there is an experience out there for everyone. Not only will this show to them how well you know them, it will also provide the opportunity for you to create lovely memories together. And a new bank of lovely memories truly is the most invaluable gift you could ever give someone!

A mini break is another meaningful gift that could act as a substitute for a bog-standard present. Having been gifted a trip away to Dublin by a loved one for my birthday this year, I can vouch for the fact that this is the perfect alternative to an ordinary present. When you can’t seem to think of a gift idea that will explain just how much someone means to you, try a trip away instead. By planning a trip that is perfect for the recipient, it shows that you have put love and thought into the gift. It also allows you to see a small part of the world with someone you love.

There are so many homemade gifts that can keep the costs low, but remain meaningful, you just have to be a little more inventive with your ideas

For those on a tight budget this year (as many of us students often are), do not think for even a moment that giving a thoughtful gift is out of your reach. In fact, a homemade gift can be even more special than something bought. A pamper hamper can be a great gift alternative for your mum, aunt, grandma – or any one of your loved ones! Fill it with slippers, face masks, and bath bombs for a DIY spa day. Or for those with green fingers in your family, fill it with seed packets, gardening gloves, and small plant pots, so they can create a miniature garden. There are so many homemade gifts that can keep the costs low, but remain meaningful, you just have to be a little more inventive with your ideas!

Do not let present buying ruin your festive spirit

Ultimately, thinking of an exciting present for every one of your friends and family will be easier said than done. If you do have to resort back to buying a typical Christmas gift, why not try and personalise it? Many online sites provide the option, at a small extra cost (if not free), to add a personalisation to your gift. Add their name, a favourite quote, or a small personal message to give the gift a little more meaning. A simple, yet effective way to turn a boring gift into something a little more thoughtful!

Say goodbye to the typical, boring Christmas presents this year. Think outside of the box and show your loved ones what they really mean to you. But do not let present buying ruin your festive spirit. Christmas is supposed to be a merry time, so borrow a few of my ideas to ensure you get your loved ones meaningful gifts, without all the stress of Christmas shopping!