Skin/ Image: Unsplash

Chapped lips and red noses: how to look after your skin this winter

It’s officially winter, and don’t we know it! The rain is settling in, the winds are picking up, and Christmas is less than a month away. Whilst umbrella sales are rising and Michael Bublé is defrosting, we mustn’t get carried away and forget about the importance of self-care. Our wellbeing still counts at Christmas. One way in which many of us suffer during the colder months is with the impact the cold has on our skin. If you still want to look fresh and glowing despite the deadlines and harsh frosts, keep reading!

It is important to remember that our skin is at risk from UVA damage, even during the winter months. And without the sufficient levels of vitamin D in our bodies, our skin can flare-up.

There are two simple ways in which we can deal with this. First of all, consider adding a little sunscreen into your foundation or daily prep routine. This will give you a natural protective barrier in the face of brutal weather.

Staying hydrated is just as important now as it is during the heat of the summer

You should also consider switching up your diet, or adding in some vitamin D supplements. The daily recommended quantity is 600 IU. Foods such as fatty fish, eggs, orange juice, and mushrooms all have high levels of vitamin D. Vegans and vegetarians are particularly at risk of lower vitamin D levels. You can buy substitutes for cereal and milk that are fortified with extra vitamins, and this is a great way to get more goodness into your system. Your skin will thank you!

Another way to fight off that winter dullness is to keep yourself hydrated. Staying hydrated is just as important now as it is during the heat of the summer, and your skin will suffer as a result of dehydration.

Professionals recommend the consumption of two litres of water a day for best brain function, energy levels and healthy skin. If you’re not too keen on plain water, consider adding in some slices of fresh fruit, or switch to herbal teas. Green tea, for example, is a great antioxidant, and there are so many types available for a reasonable price that you’re bound to find an option you love.

When it comes to your skincare routine, switch to a gentle cleanser over anything harsh or chemical-heavy. A good way to tell is that if your skin feels tight after use, it’s probably not the best cleanser for you. Opting for a moisturising cream rather than a lotion is also a better choice, as is carrying a lip balm, or making sure you wear lipstick to avoid chapping.

Moisturisers and masks are your best friends

Wearing gloves when washing up or when leaving the house is the easiest way to keep your hands chap free too. You should also invest in a good hand cream. Dove and Cetaphil are top picks for those on a budget, and these brands are available in both high-street stores and supermarkets. The best bet is to keep things simple with a gentle and basic routine. All you need is to do cleanse, tone and moisturise. It should be cheap, simple and easy.

The next tip probably won’t bring you joy, but despite the cold temperatures, a piping hot shower is not particularly good for your skin. In fact, it is a leading contributor to dry skin during the winter months. If dryness is an issue for you, turn down the temperature and be sure to moisturise afterwards to keep that hydration locked in.

You might also want to consider investing in a humidifier to keep that moisture locked in for longer. It’s not just your skin suffering in the cold remember, your hair also gets the brunt of it! No matter how tempting it is, don’t leave the house with wet hair and skin. You will only encourage frizz and dryness to set in.

Moisturisers and masks are your best friends, and you don’t have to pay out a fortune for them either. A quick Google and a peek in the fridge should leave you with a few options. Treat yourself. It is Christmas after all!