strike
Image: The Boar

BREAKING: Emergency services called to serious vehicle collision at University

Emergency services attended to a serious road traffic collision on Gibbet Hill Road on campus this morning.

According to West Midlands Fire Service, the collision was between a taxi with three passengers in the back and another vehicle.

The driver of the taxi and the driver of the other vehicle were attended to by paramedics at the scene. West Midlands Fire Service told The Boar that the roof of the latter vehicle was removed.

It has not yet been confirmed whether anyone was taken to hospital.

Image: Alex Tapper / The Boar

The fire service said that they received a call at 8:47am from the police. Two fire engines, one from Coventry and the other from Canley, were at the scene with nine firefighters.

Gibbet Hill Road was closed for a period of time while it was being cleared and emergency services were attending. The University of Warwick confirmed at 10.30 that the road had been reopened.

Buses to and from campus are were also reportedly stopping by the Security Gatehouse instead of at the Bus Interchange.

Stagecoach Midlands confirmed that due to the police road closure on Gibbet Hill Road, services will be diverted down the A46, Charter Avenue and Kirby Corner until further notice.

Updates will follow.

UPDATE (05/12/2019 11:30am): West Midlands Police confirmed that the force attended a two-car road traffic collision in Gibbett Hill Road, Canley, Coventry at 8.20am on 5 December to manage traffic.

The force also stated that two people were taken to hospital by ambulance.