A gift guide for travel lovers

A gift guide for travel lovers

With Christmas fast approaching, it can be difficult to know how to buy something personal and heartfelt that you know your loved ones are going to enjoy. Travel lovers are great to buy for, with a wide range of travel-related gifts available at decent prices. While not all of these gifts might be suitable for someone you are buying for, I hope this at least provides inspiration, no matter what your budget.

A great place to start when thinking about what to buy the adventurer in your life is something that can be used on their travels. Boots and Superdrug do a range of travel minis which could be put in a little gift box to make a great present. They are reasonably priced, with each costing between £1-3 each. This can be personal and practical, and good for anyone on a tight budget.

I also have a travel journal which I would definitely recommend for any travel lover as the first thing I do when coming back from a trip is write about it so I can always remember what a lovely time I had

Stationery shops such as Skinny Dip and Paperchase do cute travel-themed gifts at modest prices. Passport holders and luggage tags can be purchased for as little as £5 and make a wonderful present for a travel lover, also for secret Santa gifts. Many websites often allow you to personalise these.

For anyone who loves travelling, travel journals and notebooks can be an exquisite, trendy gift. Moleskine does city-specific journals that allow you to document your time in a certain place, allowing you to look back fondly at what you did, ate and where you went. I have a Paris one and I absolutely love it. I also have a travel journal from Paperchase which I would definitely recommend for any travel lover as the first thing I do when coming back from a trip is write about it so I can always remember what a lovely time I had. You can find travel journals in most stationery shops and they make a fairly inexpensive but thoughtful and considerate gift.

Vintage travel posters can be found on most poster websites and make a stunning gift for anyone who loves travelling and have fond memories of a particular place

If the person you are buying a gift for is a lover of jewellery as well as travel, Etsy is the perfect place to find personalised travel-related jewellery. Etsy also does city posters with stunning designs which I am sure would be adored by travel-lovers. I have a Barcelona one done by an artist that features my favourite district of the city. You can also get posters and prints from your travels to give as a gift to fellow travel lovers. These can often be purchased cheaper abroad and makes for an extremely unique and thoughtful gift. Vintage travel posters can be found on most poster websites and make a stunning gift for anyone who loves travelling and has fond memories of a particular place. They look so cool and brighten up student halls. Scratch-off travel maps are becoming increasingly popular and can be found in shops like Urban Outfitters and Waterstones. This is a superb gift for the seasoned traveller in your life and only motivates them to scratch off more places.

Perhaps you want to consider a gift that allows the travel enthusiast in your life to capture the memories they make on their travels. If so, disposable cameras can be purchased for around £10 and make such a great present because they are fun to use and then getting your photos printed is such an exciting process. If you want to splash out and spend a little more on something pricey, a Polaroid camera can be purchased for between £50-80 depending on where you buy it from. Cameras are such a thoughtful present for anyone who loves to travel as they can capture and remember the beautiful images from their travels forever.

If you’re looking to spend a bigger amount on someone who loves to travel, a gift experience might be the way to go. Companies such as Virgin Experience Days, buyagift.com and prezzybox offer experience gifts that can be heartfelt and extremely thoughtful. They all offer packages that allow the recipient to choose a hotel or getaway for different periods of times as well as experiences ranging from skydiving to afternoon tea at locations all over the UK. These are between £50-250 depending on the gift so if you are looking for something a bit pricier this is definitely something to consider for someone who loves to travel or not.

The mere fact that you are considering someone’s passions for travel when purchasing a gift means enough

Shops often have sales on the closer it gets to Christmas as they don’t want to risk not selling all their Christmas ranges. So, you may find that you can get these items at lower prices the later you leave it. Additionally, if you buy things second-hand from places like Depop or eBay, you may be able to negotiate the price down. Vintage travel posters purchased from charity shops can be bought at a bargain price.

Hopefully, this has helped inspire some ideas for gifts to suit those who love to travel. It is important to remember that you don’t need to spend a lot of money for a gift to be well-received, as the mere fact that you are considering someone’s passions for travel when purchasing a gift means enough.