sound system wires
Image: pixabay

A spellbound audience: Cattle & Cane live

Cattle & Cane put on an amazing show on 30 October in the intimate setting of the Hare & Hounds pub in Birmingham. A folk-pop duo comprised of brother and sister Joe and Helen Hammill, they craft soulful acoustic beats. Since I’ve been avalanched in coursework for the past two years I haven’t been able to make it out to many concerts. I am so glad that it was Cattle & Cane who have been my first venture in a long time back into live gigs because they reminded me why live performances are so special. I’ve spoken before about the warmth that this band emanates, their gig only further confirmed this.

Supported by Jen North, who at just 17 already displays powerhouse vocals, and Odina who gives a Spanish edge to a mature Bon Iver-esque sound, there was a lot to be impressed by that evening. Cattle & Cane shone brightly with their rhythmic ballads such as ‘7 Hours’ which will always be a joyful anthem that can thaw the most cynical hearts and get the timidest audience member swaying away. With their new single ‘I Wish I Knew Jesus – Like You Do’ they gave a flavour of their darker and edgier sound, whilst ‘Waiting to Become’ should be on everyone’s road trip playlists. ‘Mexico’ has the punch of a stadium power tune, which will get you swept up into dancing the night away. 

Through the songs they shared, it’s clear that the band has matured, honing in on what really keeps them going not only as a band but as a family. Namely, they explicitly explore their love of their hometown Newcastle through their new song ‘Infant Hercules’ and the effect of their father’s passing in ‘Paper Man,’ which is from their earlier album Mirrors. ‘Infant Hercules’ though so personal and clear in its references to Newcastle, was still able to convey a universal feeling of what it means to be proud of where you’re from. 

It’s clear that the band has matured, honing in on what really keeps them going

My personal favourite performance of the night was of ‘Paper Man,’ which explored the role reversal of being carried home by your parents when you’re born, to caring for them at home when they’re older. If the band were culpable of any crime that night it was ruining my make-up. I was moved to tears by the heartfelt sincerity of the song’s lyrics and its unfeigned performance. In an interview I’ve had earlier this year with Joe, he was very open about the influence their father had on their music, and how his support ignited a drive that has kept them going since.

Unfortunately, Joe and Helen’s father never saw the formation of Cattle & Cane, which makes ‘Paper Man’ all the more poignant. Listening to the song I was moved to think about my own parents, and it reminded me how important the time we have with our loved ones really is. This strikes at the core of what makes Cattle & Cane such a special band. They’re able to take their own personal experiences and unearth what is universal about them with warm honesty.  

Looking around at the audience, it was clear to see that the love and support for this band run deep for all who have the pleasure of knowing them and attending their live gigs. It also helps that Joe and Helen have effortless charisma and a great rapport with their audience, which only gets you rooting for them more and more as the night goes on. They really do display mastery in what they do, with Joe’s enviable guitar skills and Helen’s excellent control over her soaring vocals. It’s rare for a band to give such a studio-level performance at a gig, but it’s a sign of real talent and experience in music. With largely a pair of instruments and voices, Cattle & Cane were able to fill the room with their beautiful sound and leave everyone at the gig spellbound. 

Joe and Helen have effortless charisma and a great rapport with their audience

What was palpable throughout the night was the love in the room: the love and hard work Joe and Helen put into their music and the love and appreciation their audience radiates back to them. I’ve never had the pleasure of being able to chat to the band I’ve just seen perform, but something which generates a lot of goodwill between the band and gig-goers that Cattle & Cane practice was hanging around the merch stand after the performance. It reminds you of the importance that we as listeners have in supporting the bands we love and how fully aware and appreciative those bands are. It was a real privilege to be able to see the band up close, but it’s not hard to see that they are built for bigger things.    

Do yourself a favour and get listening to Cattle & Cane!

Cattle & Cane’s new album Navigator will be released November 8

• Their home town is NOT Newcastle. It’s Middlesbrough which is 50 miles away.