student-led

Warwick SU introduces “student-led” sexual health clinics on campus

The University of Warwick’s Students’ Union (SU) has introduced “student-led” sexual health clinics on campus for this academic year.

In collaboration with Coventry Integrated Sexual Health Service (ISHS), these clinics will offer “access self-testing for chlamydia and gonorrhoea, signposting to local sexual health services, and free safer sex materials such as condoms, lube, and dams.” 

They will run in conjunction with termly clinics by Coventry ISHS. The first “student-led” clinic will be held in the Copper Rooms on 22 October

The pharmacy on campus in the SU Atrium will also become a C-Card distribution point for some sexual health testing services and emergency contraception.

These campaigns started from research by the SU conducted in the 2018/19 academic year.

The pharmacy on campus in the SU Atrium will also become a C-Card distribution point for some sexual health testing services and emergency contraception

They found that 39% of students “have never been tested for STIs such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea” and 56% “have never been tested for HIV”.

Furthermore, 80% “prefer to access sexual health testing on campus”, 48% feel that testing services are “insufficient” on campus, and 49% “delayed getting tested” because of this.

Students interested in volunteering are advised to contact Sam Parr, the Campaigns & Liberation Advisor for Warwick SU.

The introduction of sexual health clinics is among a variety of initiatives introduced by Warwick SU, as well as the University, for this academic year.

Incoming students were given the option to search for Welcome Week events by the “Sober Socials”, “Quiet Events” and “Women’s Events” filters, which were created after “student feedback from last year”.

“The work was undertaken by the Welcome Steering Group, which includes members of the SU,” the University said.

The group “will be looking into whether event organisers will able to suggest which filters and tags to apply to their events when they submit their timetable”.